Third bowl completed!

I’m happy to report that I’ve completed my third bowl. :slight_smile:

I sanded it up to 600 grit, then treated it with 3 layers of sanding sealer (cut with thinner at 3 to 1) to help build up the surface. After each layer of sealer it was sanded back to smooth with 600 again and then finished with a couple layers of wood wax 22 and a good buffing with a cotton rag (the cotton build heat from friction helping to melt the wax to a smooth finish).

For those paying attention, I jumped straight to my 3rd bowl. The second one met with a grim fate:

I chose to attempt to make a bowl with a concave inner wall, knowing it would be a challenge. Sadly a bad catch while attempting to cut the inside resulted in the bowl breaking away.

I haven’t fully hollowed out the bowl, so there may be enough wood left to cut away the damage and create a new foot. Should I go that route I’ll make sure to update on how that turns out.

–James.

9 Likes

Best one yet!

looks awesome

I’d be dead chuffed if that was my 13th bowl let alone third!

Can I ask about the wood pre lathing…is it green with bark on? Or seasoned? Shop bought? Be interested to know where to source ask of that size for bowls etc

I bought three 6" x 3" Ash bowl blanks for practice from Stiles and Bates. The blanks are cut to a rough round, dried and wax sealed.

These blanks were great for practice as I could focus my efforts on the actual turning challenges rather and the significant planning and prep work that goes into sourcing the wood. And since the wood is already dried, I was not concerned with the bowl warping as it dried post-turning.

There are a number of UK suppliers that you can order from online for these blanks. The upside being that you get ready to turn wood. The downsides being that you do not get to pick wood specifically in terms of how it’s sawn, the relationship of the grain direction to the round, or the overall wood quality.

I’ve ordered a lot of spindle blanks as well and not had any problem with the quality of the wood so far. However, going forward I will start to look into sourcing my own logs, as this will allow for me to pick the grain relationship to the bowl shape that I want for the best visual outcomes post-turning.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions, I’ll help as best I can. :slight_smile:

–James.

1 Like