Talking camera to help the blind

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa496e2bf70> #<Tag:0x00007fa496e2bdb8>

Hey everyone.

Starting about two years ago, I’ve been working on developing a device to help my blind mum around the house. After talking to her about what I could do to help in-between coding projects, she asked for a small box that can describe anything placed in front of it. I now have something together I call the Owlett.
It’s a 3x4 inch box that can detect when an object is placed in front of it, then will describe it, read it, and tell you its colour.

You can see a video of my current prototype in action here.

After taking it to some charities for the visually impaired, it looks like I may be able to make this into a business, so I’m currently seeking grant and investment funding to develop it into something that can be released commercially. I have a number of functionally complete prototypes that I’m really happy with, and I think I might actually be able to make something out of this.

I’ve been using the spaces laser cutter heavily to put together the cases for the prototypes I’ve been working on, so I’ve got the space and it’s members to thank for the progress I’ve made on this so far.

Does anyone know anyone who would be interested in viewing or trialing the device? It would be really beneficial for me to get some feedback on my prototype from blind users if anyone knows anyone who would be up for trying it and giving their opinions.
Also, does anyone have any experience with crowdfunding? I’m debating it for this device and it’ll be good to get some advice.

And if you’re interested in hearing more or might want one in the future, there’s a website where you can sign up for updates here.

5 Likes

Great project! I’m guessing it takes a picture then pushes it to a web-based image recognition service?

1 Like

That’s exactly it.