Table Saw Idea

@woodtechs This is just an idea that popped into my head, take it or leave it:

There seems to be desire to use the table saw from a number of members, but concern about the safety around safety of this tool and inducting too many people.

Currently the @woodtechs operate the saw as needed but this isn’t a permanent solution, so perhaps it would be worth while adding a @tablesawtechs that have a specific responsibility for inducting, operating and maintaining this tool for the majority of other members but nothing more.

This means the wood techs don’t have to be the only ones cutting stuff for members, and we also don’t have to induct every member into using this tool which spreads the knowlege and experience thin.

One of the common causes of accidents is people not having used a tool for a long time, by keeping the use of this tool to a small group of regulars that are trusted we build up the skill to use this tool in them.

This is approach is remarkably similar to schools, colleges and universities, where the the students can use most tools, but certain staff have additional training to perform cuts for students on tools that are more dangerous.

Worth mulling this over before we induct people as this could be a stipulation, those inducted are privileged and they are expected to help other members who haven’t been inducted that need to use it.

1 Like

Decent proposal. Would happily volunteer to be a tech for this and help out others when needed.

Interesting idea. But we are not a school, college or university. We don’t hire technical staff. We don’t keep fixed opening hours. I’m not convinced that’s a template we can or should aspire to borrow from.

I’m not sure inducted folk would necessarily have the skill set to maintain the saw - definitely agree that it would be nice of anyone who is inducted to do cuts for others when they are around, not just wood techs.

1 Like

I have given up waiting for the tool control, and the first induction is scheduled for next week.

We will do it with keyswichs , and DTL .

2 Likes

Sounds like a great idea.

Far too much ability and enthusiasm is being wasted.

It’s overdue that issues around inductions where sorted out. There’s a lack of transparency and inclusiveness that means that many who want to be involved are being blocked out.

2 Likes

This is a really bad idea.

It sounds like your just going to override all the work that Johnathan has spent months on. Is that actually what you’re saying??

If that is the case I think the directors need to step in and make sure this doesn’t happen.

Or is this s temporary solution.

Either way I don’t see why being so rude about Johnathans contribution should be tolerated.

I strongly recommend that you email the directors about this. And flag my post .

Are if you really want to escalate what I assume to be subtext I also think that you should contact the directors.

I will not get involved in one of your flaging spats , sorry I am not going to play

1 Like

This is fantastic news!

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure what you meant by this.
It sounded like you were ditching @jonathanjo work in favour of your own solution.
Can you clarify if that is what is happening or if I have made a mistake interpreting what you said. (Very possible).

I was saying that I thought ditching John-Joes work would be a mistake. Mainly because if we like it or not (and I like it a lot) JohnJoe is our systems guy. It’s his job to implement and maintain this stuff so at the end of the day the buck stops with him. No one else. If others want a bigger say (at the nuts and bolts implementation level) they need to join @systems and start contributing their spare time. Then they can have a say on implementation and decision making at this level (at the furnace level). I think this is all implicit in SLMS structure.

[quote=“joeatkin2, post:8, topic:7119”]I
will not get involved in one of your flaging spats , sorry I am not going to play
[/quote]

Petty gas lighting.

Gas lighting is when you don’t answer a reasonable question and instead of trying to understand what the other person is saying and answer it reasonable, you destract the audience by throwing mud and trying to make the person that asked the question seem like a twat. This is done so that if you through enough mud at someone some of it sticks and the argument is lost and the line of questioning is lost.

The table saw is currently on a key-operated switch. Looks like we’ll keep it that way and go ahead with inductions anyway. Jonathan’s fob control can go in later. Unles I’m missing something this would mean that for now at least inducted members would still need a woodtech present to unlock the saw.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining.
Still don’t totally get it.
Probably easier to understand in the space…

DTL:
Diode Transistor Logic

In other words digital electronics, rather than using micro controllers like tool control uses that are more complex.

hi … i am in area of very poor coverage, return to grid on friday. kind
regards to all, j.

I don’t understand what you are saying in terms of the language and terminology that you are using.
My electronics level is very low.

But I do know this conversation is not about a chose of a technical implementation.
It’s more about the community structure. The communities responsibilities are separated at implementation level. As they should be.

If one person is deciding to override this (which we can only guess at with such base level communication) the cohesion of the project and the community as a whole are about to take a set back.

Yes well basically this doesn’t affect the amazing tool control system but does avoid that being a barrier.

The table saw’s power is dependent upon someone inserting a metal key into an electrical switch to turn it on. It is rather like a car key which turns the ignition and car electrics on, and will only operate if the key is in place. This is a rudimentary form of tool control that will work as a stopgap until the full tool control system is in place.

2 Likes

So until JohnJoes system is in place if you’re inducted you get a key?

And the system to run this needs installing?