Stanley No. 4 Restoration

I got hold of my old grand dad’s No 4. which was looking in a bit of a state. According to online flow charts, it’s from 1940s - early 1960 model.
The handle had broken an there was rust and pitting all over so I thought I would spend an hour or so cleaning it up. 2 days later, with blackened fingers it transformed into a decent working plane.

@lewisss tells me that the weak point is the tail of the handle when dropped which is likely what happened to this. Luckily it was a clean fracture that glued well.

I removed the patchy lacquer and rust with 80 grit sand paper, and spent about 4 hours flattening the bottom on a plywood board with 60 then 80 grit which left the sole flat but with some deeper pitting that doesn’t seem to affect it’s use.
I put a edge on the blade with the tormek and flattened back with whetstones.

I learnt a good tip afterwards. If you soak a blade in vinegar over night, the rust it comes off with a few scrubs of a kitchen scourer.

6 Likes

Lovely.

But it still makes me cringe to see a plane put down like that even 10 years after leaving my job as a DT teacher. I’m sure the blade’s wound in though

Old habits…

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/paulsellers.com/2017/08/mis-placing-plane/amp/

Ha! I don’t quite go back to he 1930s but now i feel like i do…

1 Like

I made a porcelain tile flat surface (with rubber feet) for exactly that purpose. It’s on the metalworking shelves, would do as a surface plate in a pinch.

1 Like

Beautiful restoration! You have inspired me to do mine. Good tip re. the vinegar too.

good idea. I bought a 2 quid glass chopping board from liddle. Bloody awful chopping board but flat as…