Spring assembly for Spring Riders(those playground toys)

Hey!

Does anyone here have an idea what kind of springs typical Spring Riders use? I mean these kind of playground toys:
225px-Hemelrijken10a

They’re quite expensive if bought as a playground toy (often approaching £1k), and even the replacement springs such as this one are expensive.

Can anyone here guess what kind of spring this might be? Looks a bit like a car suspension spring or something similar…
I want to build one as a huge joystick for a game, but ideally not spend as much money…

1 Like

in my youth those were tractor or trailer suspension springs - when I was a tenagger I made a diving board for our swimming pool out of some

perhaps a breakers yard (scrap dealer)

2 Likes

The garage I used to work at used to have a tonne of slightly smaller ones - VW Campervan Suspension springs; circa 150mm x 350mm if memory serves, I could swing by and ask if you’d like.

2 Likes

the ones from vans or cars are likely to be more appropriate IMHO as the larger ones may require significant force to bend

So Jontys suggestion is spot on

2 Likes

Are you going real life dimensions on the quantum garden ?

1 Like

these dudes make springs: https://springmakers.uk.com/large-springs/

The VW Campervan springs sound good, I wouldn’t mind playing around with a couple to test!

Cool, I’ll swing by and see if they’re still about, else another garage may have something suitable.

Here’s another option - a garage door spring

12" rule for scale

1 Like