Some advice about concrete

Yes please!

I will bring it in tonight

The kitchen at Makerspace had a fair bit of diamond polishing @peter_hellyer?

Yes. It did, somewhere there is a wet polishing machine, but you might need to ask @joeatkin2 where it has gone…

We use this at school. It’s expensive but gives a really good finish.

Viva Decor Concrete for Creatives, Grey, 5 kg https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YJ88FII/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qPpjBbRBXYEKJ

1 Like

The videos and be seen since suggest using a diamond bowl grinder rather than the pads we used.

not going to make it in tonight now but will be in early tomorrow morning

it is in the third drawer down , left hand side of the wooden drawer cabinet that is attached to the wall opposite the double doors of the workshop

1 Like

Thanks Mark!

Tadaaa!!

It came out so well! I used a floor leveller compound and a 10mm thick foam core (a sheet of stuff you put under tiles, made from foam and fibreglass)… so it’s around 15mm in total. Also used the compressor machine which got out loads of air bubbles. It’s so smooth, it resembles marble (in my opinion!). I’m very happy with it. I’m leaving it on a sheet of birch ply to give it extra support and I like look of them together.

The edges were very sharp lines and were easy to chip, so I sanded it down a bit, which was very easy to do which makes me worry it’s a bit brittle… so I’d like to seal it properly. Someone mentioned shellac. Has anyone had any experience with that? I don’t want it to be mad shiney or change colour too dramatically. Also I love the feel of the concrete, so don’t want it to end up feeling like plastic. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matine :grinning:

6 Likes

Bees wax

Will that protect from it chipping or scratching?

Give it a week or two and i don’t think that it will be a problem.

If not epoxy would do it

Large black bag and a few pints of water and leave it in the sun should get it hard as hell

That sounds like very solid advice

Bit late now but hempcrete gets harder and absorbs more co2 time

So does concrete - several weeks to cure to full strength. Joe’s advice about keeping it damp is to ensure the chemical reactions keep going during this period.

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of doing the GFRC method. None of this is too much of a worry. It’s tougher than standard concrete, smoother and more stable. Can’t wait to eventually give it a go.

I would still be up for giving that a go. My concrete cracked when I was gluing/clamping it to the plywood base! :sob: I think it must’ve been bowing a bit or something. Couple of hairline cracks, so I’m just adding extra support with a timber frame under. I may remake it at some point in future, now I’ve learn’t what works and what cracks! So if you decide to give the GFRC method a go at some point, let me know, I may join. I’ll keep the mould I have in case.

1 Like