So long and thanks for all the... bowls

Well, today was my last day in the space, and I took the time to turn one more bowl from a gorgeous piece of spalted beech:

I am headed back to Canada (with a short stop in Barbados first, as it’s still snowing in Canada) in a few days, and while I hope to find a new makerspace there to call home, I will miss this one dearly.

I joined a few years back and was greeted with a community of extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming people, and in the time I am happy to see that culture continue to grow in a positive direction. The SLMS is more than just a collection of excellent tools; it’s a collection of excellent people that truly make the space what it is, and I will miss you all.

That said… I will miss the lathe most of all. As old and cranky as it is, it’s pretty great. :smiley:

If I find a makerspace to call home on the other end I will let you know all about it, and try to setup some sort of cultural exchange program.

Continue to be good to each other and make amazing things!

–James.

16 Likes

I have a piece of spalted beech I am saving for something special. I like the shape and lip on that! How did you finish it?

Thanks for all your help and enthusiasm with the lathe! You will be missed! Safe journey, message us from the other side!:grin:

Thanks Beth. It’s been great to learn how to turn while at the space, and pass a few tips on to others along the way.

The spalted beech from Stiles & Bates has been one of my favorite woods to turn (and it’s also decently priced!), as they spalt their stock really well. When you do get to your piece of spalted, keep your RPM lower than you would normally and get a feel for the density distribution in your piece. The spalting process creates natural imbalance in the wood that isn’t common in most woods otherwise.

The first time I turned a spalted piece I made the mistake of taking it up to 2000 RPM to sand, and that very subtle imbalance started to tear the piece apart, leaving micro-cracks through the entire bowl as a result.

This bowl is finished with carnauba wax, which there is a plentiful supply of now on top of the cabinet above the lathe bench in a small black box. :smiley:

This is my first time using carnauba wax, and I am really pleased with it. I have used bees wax (there is a bunch of this in the same container) numerous times, and it a lot of ways it is similar in it’s application, but much harder. However I like how carnuba comes out to a harder, shinier finish when compared to bees wax.

Catch you on the flipside!

–James.

1 Like

Thanks for the knowledge you imparted. Safe journey and good luck for the future :+1: