Signs

Also Do-ocracy is not an acceptable way of working in Makerspace and the directors and governance have stated this before.

This is a childish response, Joe. This is not do-ocracy. There was a lengthy consultation and discussion before these signs were put up.

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/bins-which-is-which/6639/14

woodtechs were @mentioned on the 5th asking for their input but none was given.

@joeatkin2 please don’t be obnoxious.

When people are trying to solve problems that have been raised lots of times and do things to make the space better they should be supported, not treated with contempt.

3 Likes

That bin is desensitised as no sawdust for a good reason.

We have put a lot of work and time into building a safer workshop.

And yes I admit that it is slightly irateing when it is assumed that we didn’t spend a lot of effort doing it.

That is where scrap wood is members are always rooting through it . If it is full of sawdust cuts and injuries are inevitable.

1 Like

No just me making a point about people changing stuff without asking why it is that way first , if the charge of use of the bin was mentioned in that thred I apologie .

Ok so should the sign say:

Yes:
Useable scrap wood

No:
Sawdust
Nails
General rubbish

Members are welcome to take and use any of the wood in this bin.

1 Like

Witch is what I say in the induction.

And

And yes I do get upset and a little obnoxious when people change stuff that is makes it more dangerous.

Every time we are away from the workshops for a few days something has to be fixed, so yes I might have been a bit stroppy but something happens every time me and mark are away.
Normality we just put it right but a sign telling people the oposit of what I say in the induction really iratatid me .

I think that nails and screws are fine as long as people can see what they are doing, Stanley blades are what I am most afraid of as they really can open up a member.

Thats fine for those who have attended the induction but I have not, and no one who replied to that thread pointed it out, and the @woodtechs failed to correct the wording, further more the existing signage and contents of the bin did not suggest the bin was not for saw dust, nor was there even a bin for collecting sawdust.

@boldaslove has pointed out that this week a bin has been brought in for saw dust.

If you would be so kind as to state which bins you have and what their contents is then I can create new signs.

Additionally I am still keen to find out what Quantum Waste is doing with this waste collection for the signage.

You were out of order and you owe TomL an apology.

I’m not clear what you’re asking here?
The wood in the wood bin will go in clear bags.
The sawdust will get put in clear bags. They’ll be separated.

When Quantum Waste collects them what is their destination, landfill, burning, recycling?

They have a website. With videos on it. Check it out.

Sure I have seen that but it doesn’t specifically say what they do with wood waste.

I would like to put a few comments regarding the above posts.

Regarding signs
I must admit I haven’t read the posts relating to the signage for the recycling but I was surprised to see them all over the space as I am sure I remember a thread which specifically mentioned that we didn’t want a space with signs scattered all over the place and if we did deem they were necessary the would be done discreetly in the makerspace fonts and design.

I think they are a good idea on the bins themselves but in my opinion I find the one on the door between the clean room and dirty room unnecessary and ugly (and possibly the one on the laser cutter)

Bins in the wood workshop.

On the inductions we point out that there are two bins. The large one strictly for wood scraps to be used for projects, sacrificial wood and clamping blocks.
On no account should sawdust , sweepings, be put in here as once a month it is sorted and the smaller bits disposed of.

If it is full of sawdust and possibly screws, stanley knives etc this will be dangerous.

There has always been a sawdust/sweepings/anything else bin in the workshop (dark green flip top bin without flip top.)

The sawdust from the extractor is bagged separately by us

3 quantum waste
These have turned out to be hopeless
I believe @boldaslove has sourced an alternative waste collector and am surprised It is not mentioned here.
Could we have updated details on the new company.

The @woodtechs are responsible for the smooth running of the wood shop but we are getting increasingly frustrated with other members making decisions without consulting us first.

We have tried to make the area easy to know where each tool lives and provide some members storage for projects and free to use wood.
And to make the area safe to use.

I think @joeatkin2 frustration comes from members deeming that a particular tool shouldn’t live in the place we have designated it but would be better hidden in a drawer somewhere, inadequate and unsafe storage solutions being made, incorrect and unsafe information being given.

And tools being used when there has been an explicit direction not to use it (riving knife has been put on skill saw) therefore someone’s put it on there I presume to use it!

1 Like

Ok, it’s now very clear which bin is which in the wood workshop. Hopefully, we can get some updated signs made for these bins so that the correct sutff goes in the correct bin. I know I’ve personally put plenty of sawdust in the tall bin, and non-wood waste in the smaller bin so I do think they’re needed.

I think it would help if this responsibility was shared among more members. There are currently 6 registered woodtechs. Is there anything we can do to help them help you with this sort of regular maintenance? Should there be more of them?

1 Like

Non wood waste is fine in the smaller bin , and a bit of sawdust in the big bin is not a problem it just falls to the bottom. , but better none …

We desperate need to sort out the tech group’s so we restart the inductions

Please PM the directors about this.

Edit: Have PMed you.

The first collection has been made buy Quantum.
The will pick up every first Monday of the month.

There has been no issue with the service provided by Quantum other than something going wrong with the procedure we have been using to contact them. I’ve rectified that now.

Details here:

2 Likes

This could have been handled in a much less confrontational manner.

1 Like