Shoutout webengineer topic

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa360f2c9d8>

Dear Members,
I need to create my own mini internet/ vpn tunnel so I can send my port forward between a 4g router and or 2 dynamic IP addresses, I am looking to spend some money to create a job for someone who has the experience. I dabbled in open vpn and I think I got close but now I’m thinking of getting a pair of alpha late panda and run as an edge router as well as the audio software that I will be using.

I am wondering if I can talk to someone about completing the task to set up a dynamic IP vpn tunnel somehow, I remain slightly confused and I would prefer to concentrate on my other project work.

I can find a budget for this if someone would like a job.

Best wishes,

Zack

hey, I don’t seem to understand anything about what you want to do, it’s very confusing, why don’t you start from describing what you want to do and then we can talk about technicalities?

I knew that would happen I often type tired.

I need a web tunnel for UDP port forwarding between minimum 2 networks of mine, one of which is using a 4G router and the work would specifically be to create a pair of edge routers on some PC hardware such as alpha panda etc that when they are on a network they can find/ handshake eachother using the usual cryptology e.g sha256 or whatever it is and without a fixed I.P address and route my traffic from a field outdoor workstation to my studio and/or home, so when I turn on my hardware they can only see my network machines, separated by a few miles point to point.

Thanks for asking for more info

I want to try and do this machine to machine without subscribing to a 3rd party vpn service

My ping speed at home is 5ms, at work it is comparable! I am only sending low bandwidth point to point possibly quite a bit less than streaming an mp3, but even then stability is priority. On the 4G outdoor side the ping is 40ms though but I am recording the data at home/studio so that should be fine. The upload and download speeds are much bigger than what I would be streaming, just data 12 packets of osc containing x,y,z values. I hope to compile the 12 strings into one packet before sending, that is a separate job to the routers though.

I would like to commission the setup of 2 edge routers to negotiate a handshake online and then connect exclusively as a vpn or tunnel for my UDP port forward to exchange some controller data.

My funders won’t release the funds until I have my outputs but I can find some cashflow to get this started,
what do you think?

I tried open vpn on a pair of gaming routers but by the time I got close the routers are already aging in terms of security updates etc

You might want to look into wireguard instead of openvpn. It’s much easier to set up and can easily run on a raspberry pi on each side, or any computers you have running already. You’d want to have one side (probably your home or studio) registering regularly with something like duckdns to maintain the connection even with a dynamic IP.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WireGuard has some very detailed instructions on setting things up, and they’re pretty useful no matter what Linux distro you’re using.

I have a pi at home that is always running that my phone or laptop can connect to when I’m out and I don’t really have any issues with it. It sounds like this would fit your usecase quite nicely and be simpler to administer as well.

1 Like

For one edge router you need to setup a vpn client , routing and dns forwarding , for the other, a vpn server a dhcp client and tied it up to your local network.

Or you can look into some reverse ssh wizardry.

I sue this script to setup openvns servers : https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

1 Like

I read this topic and am interested in the exact use case you are trying to achieve. As I understand it you would like to store data which you collect in the field onto a computer which resides at your home?

Are you using a particular application which expects that the data collection and data storage devices are on the same local network? If so what application are you using?

If using an application which requires access to a port of your computer, you might want to take a look at ngrok. This service does a lot of the heavy lifting for opening a reverse tunnel (mentioned above).

Alternatively would you be implementing your own application to perform the data storage?

For a simple, and potentially very insecure, approach to proving remote access to your own application running on a device such as a Raspberry Pi, take a look at Balena Cloud Public Device URLs

Finally if you are implementing the data collection and data storage yourself then perhaps a technology such as MQTT might be the way to go. Then both devices connect to a broker sitting in the cloud.

Not sure if the above helps, I could have missed entirely what you are trying to achieve. Perhaps they will help ensure you are solving the right problem, or be a complete distraction. I apologise if the latter.