Sewing machine

Hi @textilestechs, I just tried using the j’anime sewing machine and it’s really stiff vont sure what’s going on… and the needle on the overlocker is bent.

Should we hang a white board or something where people can write down anything that’s Broken anonymously so that we know about it?
What do you think?

A written note would be okay, with a description of the problem and anything that might cause it so it can be diagnosed maybe?

1 Like

That’s given me a bit of a reminder to chase up the servicing guy. He’s going to get back to me - will keep you updated (and not be so tardy this time)

1 Like

On Sunday I broke the needle on the white sewing machine (I left a note) – I think though it was the reverse function on the machine that caused the snap. I could be wrong though, I was using light weight fabric.

Sorry, I planned to fix it this Monday but have been caught up… I will pop by tomorrow and fix it up.

No problem! Yes we should look at the machines and see if they need a servicing, it shouldn’t snap the needle :thinking:
That’s why I’m thinking of a place where people can write what’s going on with the equipment so we all know what needs to be done

Hi All,

I tries working on the Janome sewing machine today. There is a problem with the bobbin case at the bottom. It is loose and the thread gets caught in it.

I then tried working on the Bernina but the bobbin tension is really loose.

Does anyone know how to fix these problems? alternatively these machines should get services.

Thanks,
Silver

There should be a little screw on the front of the jamome bobbin caseyou can turn it a fraction to adjust the tension but do only turn a mm at a time. If still an issue check thr needle is inserted the right way.

Also I’m pretty certain this machine has an auto tension setting which should be visible when you turn the front dial all the way left or right - it will state auto.

The bernina not as easy to explain via text

Hi @SilverNel thank you for letting us know could you write down the problem on the piece of paper on the wall so when we get them serviced we know the problems. Thank you

I think I need to try find out about other people who will service the machines. I haven’t had much luck with the Bernina guy…

Murray’s in Hackney rd is good they have a call out service. There is a lady I know that help with a repair cafe for Traid she’s really. I can get her details from work.

1 Like

That would be ace, thank you.

That’s a shame Institute of Making recommended him.

Ahh that’s annoying @Esther just had a look at them.

Are you in the space today? I wonder if it’s jamming if it’s something to with how it’s being threaded or the direction of the needle. If you are in I can give you a mini induction?

That said they do definitely need servicing as being a dusty room is going to effect tbe normal running of the machine especially if tvere not cleaned and oiled regularly.

@textilestechs I also totally forgot about getting the details for the lady we worked before. But Murray’s who really is great he does call outs I think it’s £25 ph per machine - he is also open today 10 - 2.

+44 20 7729 7328

+44 7836 215 656

Found the ladies details here: http://www.cheekyhandmades.co.uk if in contact with her probably woulld be great to get her to come in and do a demo on how look to look after a seeing machine and maintenance - that’s what she did at our repair cafe. Would members less familiar with sewing machines a blueprint on using and maintaining machines.

I can come in early next week and work on getting a machine sorted, Tuesday if not before. Thanks for the details Chanelle!

1 Like

Cheers Chanelle. I have left a message with they guy, hopefully will hear back soon. @Elizabeth99 was it last night you tried the machines? They def still need a service but they were running without jamming - seemed to be a bobbin holder issue.

1 Like

ok. Didn’t mean to come off patronising if it did, it was only that you had asked for help on the machine before.

Looks like @techs have it all in hand re servicing machines anyway.

Had a look at the Bernina today. No jamming but tension was really tight.

I’ve adjusted the screws on the bobbin case. Seems to be in working order for now. Give a go should be ok.

Also just to note current needle is a medium/light general cotton fabric needle. I know these have been ordered by @textile techs but I will try bring some more specific needles And label by fabrics - Esther has kindly put up chart that will help understand what needles to use for which fabric.

Cheers

Puckering / tight tension

Adjusting bobbing case

Sample following bobbin case adjustments

5 Likes

Not sure if someone already had a loom at the Janome but with a general needle and general cotton stitching looks even.

3 Likes

Thanks @Esther_Gladstone and @StudioNelle for looking after the machines :fist:! @Elizabeth99 we’re trying to work out a way to be more efficient at sorting out problems with the equipment but bare in mind that we’re all vonlunteers!

1 Like

Hey guys is there spare machine needles anywhere?

Thanks,