SDR help

Hello,

I’m in the early stages of looking at the feasibility of launching a high altitude balloon with the school I work in.

Needless to say we’re on a bit of a tight budget.

One of the things we probably need to do is use radio to track the balloon. I understand it’s possible to use a USB SDR dongle to receive the radio signals.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before? Would love a chat with someone with some experience of HABs, SDR radio etc.

Ooh, I have a bit of experience with HABs (made the payload for one at uni) . 433 MHz tx is very budget friendly and what most use.

Realtek RTL2832U is what you need, and a nice directional antenna - but you can utilise habhub to get other people to help with the tracking as well !http://habhub.org

https://ukhas.org.uk/projects:dl-fldigi

I am looking to do the same but it’s only in my head at the moment, I have some modules on order will let you know how I get on

I did one at uni for my final project (prototype satellite) - I can probably buzz you a copy of the report if that would be handy. The successor projects are now launching payloads from rockets and bidding for a slot on an ISS launch - they have loads of videos up online so might also be a useful teaching aid?

I agree, 433mhz is very friendly for a whole bunch of reasons.
I’ve got a 433mhz modem set somewhere + I have a bunch of commercial transceivers that could receive the signal too…

Courty

1 Like

Ive been in discussion with joe about doing this too. so I am game.

Ive been giving it some thought and I think ive come up with a way of creating a magnesium based hydrogen generator which will create hydrogen on demand by shorting a circuit… may be not for a school project.

I do have a a dvb-t usb dongle which can be used with mac/pc software to create a SDR, your welcome to borrow it.

ive also got a selection of light weight ti based 433 transceiver modules to play with, plus some lora modules which might not be so useful.

Also normal gps stop working at suprising low altitudes… you will need a u-blox based gps receiver to track at high altitudes

1 Like

All good information!

Thanks, everyone.