Rug tufting

Oh ok, I was wondering where the marker would be attached on the cnc, this makes sense :joy:

Hi Cirine! I’ve used the tufting gun a couple of times in the last month. I’m not expert but if you need help with anything I’m happy to try and help!
I’ve got a project on the small frame atm, and I was planning on finishing my rug next week. I think the big frame hasn’t been in use since last year, so that one could work? But obviously if you need to, you can take my project off the frame (it’s the one with orange yarn)! Just please be careful with it :).

1 Like

Both files are SVG, solid and dotted line version.

rugDesign

rugDesignDots

2 Likes

We I think tried another method with a tube the marker goes in, then you put some weight on top to push it down so it doesn’t have to be as exact as the method in that picture…

I think the tube is still on there? I would have to look… I think that is the preferred method that way you get even pressure and don’t squish the marker tip…

1 Like

Hi Phili, sounds good. I think I’ll just need to figure out the gun but from videos I’ve seen it doesn’t look too complicated. And I can use the big frame if no one is using it, just means I’ll have to use a bit more canvas but I can figure it out. One thing I’m slightly worried about is the size of the rug. Do you think it will be hard to do the above design at a size of like 45 x 50 cm? Not sure how easy it is to do smaller details.

This looks great @Dorine, thanks for the help!

Hey @Cirine ! Perfect, sounds good! I don’t think the size of the rug matters a whole lot. I found that making curves can be a bit difficult, as the gun should ideally be used in straight lines from bottom of the frame to the top. However, I think if you’re patient you can manage making more flowy patterns by only going a trigger pulls at a time (if that makes sense?). I’m definitely not an expert though, so just give it a try!! Looking forward to seeing the finished rug.

1 Like

Th tube is still attached

2 Likes

I am getting into tufting and have a few questions.

1. The tufting gun suggests the moving parts should be oiled before each use. Is there a little oil dropper I may use (perhaps from metal or woodworking areas) for this purpose?
  2. The nails on the frame have their heads facing out, which makes it less easy to put on and take off fabric. If you compare to commonly available frames for rug tufting, the nail pointy end faces out towards the end user. (See picture attached for reference). Does anyone mind if I snip off the nail heads to make it easier to take canvas on and off the frame? Again wondering if wood/metal working area has a tool I could use for this, assuming people agree.
  3. I bought some yarn to use, but I’d like to wind it onto a bobbin to make it easier. Does the space have a yarn winder? Another image below for reference. Searching discourse suggests yes (Knitting Machine Introduction), but I don’t know where it is.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Josh,

I have been using an all purpose oil I found in the metal workshop, it’s in one of the boxes in the shelf that is in the middle of the metal workshop (the shelf that separates the room in two).

Personally I found that the nail heads provide a little bit of safety from getting stabbed accidentally, if we snipped them off we might want to also have some kind of padded strip we can put on top of the exposed spikes to avoid accidents?

And I also couldn’t find the yarn winder unfortunately.

1 Like

Hi @Cirine , thanks for coming back to me. Understood on the oil and winder. I’ll have another poke around and see if I can find it!

On the nail heads, I hear you, though I was just thinking to snip off the broad bit of the head, leaving the blunt post, rather than bringing them to a point. To reduce the size that the gaps of the canvas needs to clear, without leaving a pointy business end if that makes sense :smiley: I should think it would pose no more risk than a nail (or even a sewing needle!) otherwise would.

Happy to leave it if that’s people’s preference, just thought it would make the frame a bit easier to use for all.