Rug tufting

My interpretation of blending is using 2 or more things/tools to achieve an objective, in this case the huge CNC machine to draw your design. We do also have a projector but I think it be great fun to try the CNC version :smiley:

1 Like

I’m doing rug tufting for the first time so am planning on starting small, projector should be fine but if someone is around on Sunday who knows how to use the cnc machine then I’m definitely open to using that instead :grin:

Do you have a design you could send me at dorine.slms@gmail.com I could have a look at? We could try a mini version on the small CNC if you like?

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, i’ve sent it to you!

do you have a vector file version of that png?

I don’t right now but will find a way to convert it and send you tomorrow :+1:

1 Like

Hi! How are you thinking of using the CNC on textile? For what it’s worth, I think the projector will be easier and better :slight_smile:

Hi Amit, people were suggesting you can use the cnc with a marker to trace the outline of a rug design on canvas?

I sent you a vector version @Dorine

1 Like

ah, ok, yeah, that’s possible! :slight_smile: But you’d need an induction to the big cnc probably, unless your rug is very small. That means doing the CNC induction, doing some projects, then moving up to the big one. Might be easier to do the projector approach unless you want to do other CNC stuff in the future.

Was thinking of helping her do it on the little one first and then use it as my induction piece for the big CNC as an option

2 Likes

Definitely do-able - Low tech, but it works!

1 Like

Oh ok, I was wondering where the marker would be attached on the cnc, this makes sense :joy:

Hi Cirine! I’ve used the tufting gun a couple of times in the last month. I’m not expert but if you need help with anything I’m happy to try and help!
I’ve got a project on the small frame atm, and I was planning on finishing my rug next week. I think the big frame hasn’t been in use since last year, so that one could work? But obviously if you need to, you can take my project off the frame (it’s the one with orange yarn)! Just please be careful with it :).

1 Like

Both files are SVG, solid and dotted line version.

rugDesign

rugDesignDots

2 Likes

We I think tried another method with a tube the marker goes in, then you put some weight on top to push it down so it doesn’t have to be as exact as the method in that picture…

I think the tube is still on there? I would have to look… I think that is the preferred method that way you get even pressure and don’t squish the marker tip…

1 Like

Hi Phili, sounds good. I think I’ll just need to figure out the gun but from videos I’ve seen it doesn’t look too complicated. And I can use the big frame if no one is using it, just means I’ll have to use a bit more canvas but I can figure it out. One thing I’m slightly worried about is the size of the rug. Do you think it will be hard to do the above design at a size of like 45 x 50 cm? Not sure how easy it is to do smaller details.

This looks great @Dorine, thanks for the help!

Hey @Cirine ! Perfect, sounds good! I don’t think the size of the rug matters a whole lot. I found that making curves can be a bit difficult, as the gun should ideally be used in straight lines from bottom of the frame to the top. However, I think if you’re patient you can manage making more flowy patterns by only going a trigger pulls at a time (if that makes sense?). I’m definitely not an expert though, so just give it a try!! Looking forward to seeing the finished rug.

1 Like

Th tube is still attached

2 Likes