Royal College of Art's new focus on science?

This seems like an incredible paradigm shift from the RCA

Many artists/makers/humans are interested in both art and science – Makerspace members are clear testament to that – still, it’s amazing to see the RCA leap in with both feet!

1 Like

I’m doing some work on an IT system at the RCA at the moment, and it is an amazing place - their Battersea campus is home to all 3 of their research centres (I think), which have a design/tech focus. They do materials research for some high end brands. They have a start-up incubator called innovationRCA for designers/makers/innovators that has supported some astonishing stuff.
If you ever get the chance to visit their James Dyson centre, do - it’s built around a central atrium and has a lot of glass walls, so that those in the offices and clean spaces can see into the workshops and messy production areas.
Hang on, that design aesthetic sounds familiar…

1 Like

Is that what’s about at London bridge station ?

They are expanding the the Battersea campus, just to the west of Battersea Park. That’s also where the Jame Dyson building is. It reminded me of the Makerspace - in the sense of glass walls to allow visibility from clean to dirty spaces. They are on a slightly bigger scale :slight_smile:

1 Like