Resource page: 3d printing/laser cutting medical face shields

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa35b3a8738> #<Tag:0x00007fa35b3a85a8>

Hi All,

Repurposing post as a resource for everything gathered in the thread below around DIY faceshields: please let us know of any projects/resources that you think should be here. If you get a useful link please have a read, give a quick summary if possible and share below. This is a rapidly changing landscape, and medics across the world are gladly accepting DIY PPE. Let’s share evidence of the best, safest and makable!

Production projects – but can be done at home too

Post # 9 and others @barrylillis working on a version of the Delve face shield (no 3d printed parts)

collated here

Hi All,

I’ve been working full time on this effort since the weekend. The Prusa shield is well intentioned and getting lots of interest, but the print time is too long and it can’t be scaled up very quickly. Prusa with their huge printer farm could produce only a few 1000s per week. We need to go much larger than that.

There are some non-printed designs, the best of which looks like this version:

They have an assembly guide here:

I’m in discussions with several large UK companies with the resources to produce these at large volumes. We may have a fallback/parallel track where we get makerspaces/individuals to help laser cut (or manually cut) the shields, foam and assemble them.

We may also be doing a crowdfunder to get cash to buy the materials and pay for the production.

I’ll update this thread later today with more details.

By all means start printing prusa designs, but for short term we might be better looking at this version which uses A4 material sheets and so doesn’t need a laser cutter:

Assembly video here:

AND:

This second version uses velcro at the back, but the feedback from clinicians was that they would prefer a single handed operation - the first one has an elastic band

One supplier could make over 100K of the foam piece…trying to get someone to assemble…

AND:

Hi All,

@Mark_Mellors - I’m working with Lucy and Floyd who have been working with the Makespace in Cambridge and have the contacts at Adenbrookes. I am looking to produce the Winconsin/Delve design at scale using large manufacturers but this will take a bit more time. I was CCd on an email with you yesterday!

I won’t share the list of people I’m speaking with yet to avoid multiple requests, but they are “converters”/assemblers, creating foam+plastic products at high volume, some up to 3 million parts per week.

The shorter term plan for a makerspace or lowish production volume might be to use the converters raw material SUPPLIERS for plastic film and foam? If we could get some rolls delivered then maybe these could be cut via laser in makerspaces or manually at home. I’m not convinced about the scalability of this homemade approach but every little helps

FILM MATERIALS

Note that the Delve design (I’m calling it that rather than Winconsin) specifies PET rather than PETG. They would have preferred PETG as it survives Xray (not sure why needed) but PET is more readily available. Thickness anywhere around 175micron (0.175mm) should be good.

I haven’t contacted any film suppliers yet but here are some that have been mentioned by the converters as people they use to get their raw materials

HiFi Films
Amari Plastic
Mitsubishi (manufacture the actual film, might be difficult to get small rolls)
Du Pont (manufacture the actual film, might be difficult to get small rolls)

FOAM MATERIALS

The Huge suppliers are :

• Recticel
  • Carpenters
  • Vita
  • Foam Partner
  • Rogers Foams

Again, not sure it’s worth trying these guys directly as the converters I’m speaking to take giant blocks of these film and foam materials and cut them into sheets and smaller objects. Hence me speaking to the converters first. Tomorrow I’m going to see if any of the converters could send rolls of foam/film to makerspaces in advance/in parallel with creating completely assembled shields themselves.

Make sense? I’ll know more tomorrow!

AND:
Also, the converters are also looking at elastic suppliers too .

This looks like a potentially tricky part for some of them. It maybe that they produce the shield+foam and we would then get the end user / hospital / makerspace to attach the elastic with staples.

So would be useful if someone had time to research this, e.g

• A low cost supply of elastic "webbing materials ( 1 inch wide approx)
  • A good desk mounted, long staple depth, stapler?

AND:

Also, I’ve just seen that Delve have said that the foam they used is :

• Open cell polyurethane
  • Density 2lbs/cu ft. (approx 32 kg / m3?) They reckon softer foam will be more comfortable.
  • 1 3/8” thick. (around 35mm, thicker than shown in their drawing)
    I’ve got some updated drawings from them too as have been in touch. Will upload.
    AND:
    In terms of specs, I’ve been speaking the the guys from Delve and they have based their design on an existing design and have iterated and validated it (a bit) with clinicians who are now using it. We think we just need to take their design and scale up in uk.

Again, this is the design we’re working to:

delve.com

Open-Source-Face-Shield-Drawing.pdf

I’ve just created a Google form to get potential suppliers to list their capabilities. I’m going to

docs.google.com

COVID Face Shield: We Need Your Help!

We are a small group of UK Designers and Engineers trying to scale the production of a simple design of Face Shield to help prevent transmission of COVID 19. Is your company involved with the manufacture or supply of: foam, clear plastic film,…

This also includes basic specs/ranges for each component so should get us moving.

I’ve got a few suppliers who can convert all the components and assemble. First quotation is £2 at 1000 off, £1.80 at 10000 but need to confirm lead times with them as they need to make some tooling for die cutting.

Short term supply of PET/PETG and elastic materials seem to be the sticking point. Foam supply looks okay.

I don’t any experience with hospital supply chains. CE marking is not going to happen for this but hoping that hospitals can take what we give them. Funding is the other issue here, but there is a VC thing in progress with others here.

AND:

@Julien_Vaissieres can you please share details for the request from the London hospital? I’m trying to build a case for companies to help for free or at cost and though they are willing, they have large costs to bear. Official letter/comms from NHS or someone who has some authority will help the case. There is no govt funding I can see for this (YET!). Email me barrylillis@gmail.com if easier.

@Dermot thanks for following up, I meant to say that I did contact John today by phone and email but no response as yet…

I’m trying to access to the bigger suppliers of PET via our foam and plastic “converters” and am trying to arrange for rolls of 175microm PET to be made available. The trouble is that the converters have to buy 100s of metres of the stuff costing £3-4K minimum order quantity . Some have some stock so looking into it all.

Also, 175 micron thickness is for building the foam Delve design. Is this too thin for the Prusa version?

FYI one manufacturer today quoted production of 10K units at £2 a pop. Another claims to be able to make 100 units PER MINUTE on an automated production line. Would take some time to set up though, but both making Delve samples this week.

Thanks,

Barry

Barchworks:
Newsflash: £15k crowdfunder is live!
Batch Works in London @Julien_Vaissieres is starting volume production (now?) of a pared-down-fast-print version of the [Prusa shield] (https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/25857-prusa-protective-face-shield-rc2) at their 3d Print farm
Another fundraiser – this time crowdsourcing people to do the 3d printing
3D Crowd Uk

And their crowdfunder

Suppliers
Some possible suppliers in Post #22 and http://psggroup.info/ – anyone have up to date info here?

Funding?

http://www.spacehive.com/create made contact and suggested projects like these could fit the currently relaxed criteria. Advice is to click the link and start creating a campaign. They don’t do match funding but have orgs who chip in on campaigns…have a read

content of original post
content of original post A couple of other Makerspaces have been contacted by people in various levels of the medical establishment to produce face shields, and specifically the Prusa ones

Thought it would be a good idea to get people primed for this (stop printing Yodas and save your filament!) just in case we get the request. There are a couple of things to research, and probably more if you have a read through the links

We’re mindful to not pester busy medical professionals with unwanted offers of help, but we’d also like them to know if we have members willing and able to contribute – we can share it on social media and other networks

Thoughts?

@3dtechs @lasertechs @petra @laurent_muchacho @recursion

Original design

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/25857-prusa-protective-face-shield-rc2

Materials:

5h 55m Total time (includes laser cutting and assembly?)

1× print file

0.25 mm layer height

0.4 mm nozzle

PET - filament 105 g how important is it to use this as most members likely already have PLA and ABS?

MK3/S

Clear plastic for visor:

we used 0.5 mm thick petg sheet (Covestro VIVAK), but you should be able to use any clear laser cuttable plastic with similar thickness" - someone needs to research materials (possible alternatives) and availability of this

DOWNLOAD41 492×

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/25857-prusa-protective-face-shield-rc2

A stacking layout for overnight printing
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/26595-10x-stack-protective-face-shield-improvement-of-pr

1 Like

I like the idea and have been following the prusa design since t beginning. Abs or PETG would be better for strength and durability. Where would we get a load of Sheet material for the visor part? Is this a drive for a makerspace collaboration for a single donation?

2 Likes

can’t we print one and cast the rest? 5h of printing it’s not fast enough!

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong but is this really the best way to go about to procure face shield. I’ve been contacted as well and everyone think this is going to help.

The prusa use case was suitable especially to the situation in there country, the fact that prusa as 300 printers farm at their disposal,I understand that panic buying as caused shortage and based on a quick search this is currently not the case around here however I’ve got other concern regarding doing this.

• face shield come in sterilised packaging and are produced in a controlled environment the risk of cross contamination in producing those items by various group is likely to be more negative
  • producing those ourselves for medical use would be unsuitable and maybe medical professional will use them but I doubt the higher risks of cross contamination is worth it. (I can hear people saying those produce item can be decontaminated before use and yes that true but if in the production of those you endup contaminating 10x the amount of people where is the gain)
  • On average 10 face shield retails for about £30 from approved reseller and the cost of producing those I don’t believe will be sustainable.

Finally IMHO what is going to help is self isolating from any contact reduce the amount of any movement that is personal or goods that can occur. If everyone follow those guideline as demonstrated in asian country within 3 month the situation get in controlled but if we increase the amount of possible cross contamination we are likely to make the situation much worse.

So again don’t get me wrong but let’s consider this carefully and not jump into doing something that we might regret.

ps: @Jonathan is right those will need to be printed in PETG for best results but if you do them in other material they could still be useful
@emuboy as valid point about casting assuming the design provided is suitable

1 Like

I’m in if needed, know how to 3d print too.
I still work so meeting people, keeping distance but need you to know.

didn’t look like a 5 hour print to me?

As I said – let’s see if we’re asked. The fact that other workshops have been directly requested to help is why I posted today

I really hope there are enough visors

Other workshops are asking for recommended suppliers – so if anyone has any ideas then put them here

1 Like

Hi All,

I’ve been working full time on this effort since the weekend. The Prusa shield is well intentioned and getting lots of interest, but the print time is too long and it can’t be scaled up very quickly. Prusa with their huge printer farm could produce only a few 1000s per week. We need to go much larger than that.

There are some non-printed designs, the best of which looks like this version:

They have an assembly guide here:

I’m in discussions with several large UK companies with the resources to produce these at large volumes. We may have a fallback/parallel track where we get makerspaces/individuals to help laser cut (or manually cut) the shields, foam and assemble them.

We may also be doing a crowdfunder to get cash to buy the materials and pay for the production.

I’ll update this thread later today with more details.

By all means start printing prusa designs, but for short term we might be better looking at this version which uses A4 material sheets and so doesn’t need a laser cutter:

Assembly video here:

3 Likes

This second version uses velcro at the back, but the feedback from clinicians was that they would prefer a single handed operation - the first one has an elastic band

Good man! I’m all for efficiency and buildability!

What kind of numbers are we looking at?

One supplier could make over 100K of the foam piece…trying to get someone to assemble…

1 Like

Hi, Cambridge Makespace and Hitchin Hackspace member here.

I’ve been asked about producing masks for a hospital in Cambridge, by three seperate parts of the hospital. I made the Prusa design yesterday evening and have shipped it over to them for feedback, but I’m regretting it now as the Wisconsin design looks much better suited to what they need. They’ve said paying for materials is no problem, so we shouldn’t need a kickstarter to get going here.
Have you found UK suppliers for small quantities, so we can get a batch made and distributed for review, whilst you’re working on volume production?
Earlier today I ordered some 0.5mm, 0.7mm, 1.0mm and 1.5mm PETG from bayplastics, but these instructions call for 0.007" so 0.18mm, bayplastics didn’t have it that thin.
Mark

I could probably negotiate access to another Trotec 300 if we want to double capacity

1 Like

That’s like a thick piece of paper…so maybe it’s more ‘film’ that you’d be looking for?

P.S. Welcome Mark!

yes, its about the same thickness as OHP or binding plastic, but PETG is much stiffer than the PPC/PVC/PS they’re usually made from.

Hi all!

1 Like

So…from a brief Google that thickness of PETG is possibly used for vacuum forming product packaging? So food and other manufacturers might be the people to ask - or the people who vacuum form their packaging?

Or is everyone way ahead here?

I’ve been looking there, but still can’t find it in small quantities. it must be available though

What about asking for samples? And the fact that @barrylillis is look at this at scale

So Batch Works in london are also working on the Prusa deisgn, (but a quicker print) – also looking for plastic for thousands of shields, so let’s share the knowledge

Astra Zenica just came to mind - looks like it’s used in blister packs - and they’re right there by Addenbrooks hospital (no idea where they manufacture though)