Requests for woodshop inductions

Hi everyone
I would very much like to be inducted into the woodshop as soon as possible, as I’ve now got half a project sitting on the floor of the bedroom waiting to be progressed!
I’ve done quite a bit of woodworking before so I’m not a first-timer. Of course, I’ve not used your tools previously, and I want to understand the procedures and protocols too!
Is there any way I can offer help in getting things moving? I can help prepare things like documentation or training plans. I am also happy to offer to help with running inductions in the future, if that would help and if you would be comfortable with that.
I’d really love to get moving on things - my motivation is high right now! :smile:
Thanks!

2 Likes

I can run one later this week, what day works for you?

Hi Jonty
Wednesday evening would be good, although I realise that’s usually the open evening, and as such may not be so good. How long do you normally allot for an induction session, too?
Thursday won’t be so easy, but then we’re into the easter weekend, and I have no plans at all as yet - so it entirely depends on what’s convenient for you!

@Jonty_Bottomley I would also love to get an induction to the woodshop - I can’t do Wednesday unfortunately but would like to come along if you run it another day.
Like @David_C I’m not a complete beginner.

I’m interested but I’m a complete beginner. I’m not planning to do anything super complicated. Objective: learning to build a wooden spoon, salad bowl, ashtray or similar item. I probably don’t need access to all the super dangerous tools apart from the Lathe.

Make sure you’re on the waiting list

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/wood-workshop-foundation-induction-waiting-list-see/5002?u=dermot

1 Like

Hi @Jonty_Bottomley
Is there any chance we can look at doing an induction session over the weekend at some point? :grin:

@woodtechs, is anyone around this Saturday in the workshop? I’ve not been inducted yet, but want to hand plane and glue two pieces of bookmatched maple together. Would be grateful for some help!

Wednesday would also be good for me. Happy to provide a contribution for your time/get pizza or something

I’m about this afternoon if you fancy swinging by.

Hey! Thanks for reply. Just saw it now, sorry! I decided to take a chance getting to the induction on Wednesday instead so hopefully see you there.

Johan

@woodtechs I’m in the final throws of making a dining table, thank you for your help so far :grinning:. For the finale I need to use the table saw to finish off the table top, bench top and struts. Is anyone around today (Friday) to give me an induction? I am around all afternoon and evening.

Many thanks,

Will.

Hi Will,
We won’t be able to induct you on the saw (we are waiting on a tool control measure before we can do these for members) if you’ve got a project you want to finish up we can probably facilitate its use.
I can’t be down there tonight but @jonty_bottomley may be about?

Thanks Edward :+1:t2: I’ll pop in later to see if Jonty is about.

I may be back late but busy this eve.
Howard may be able to help.

Thanks for the heads up Jonty, I’ll pop in and see if someone is about. :+1:t2: