Recycling initiative

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a39c9a88> #<Tag:0x00007fa4a39c9920>

Hard to see why not?

1 Like

My own interest is not especially to recycle or ‘upcycle’ but simply to make things out of plastic. Shouldn’t recycling issues associated with what members make be left to their own individual consciences, rather than blanket bans on materials because they cannot be recycled? That would severely limit allowable making activities if we did that. We have produced, and continue to produce, a large volume of waste fit only for disposal in landfill in the construction of the Space.

The Cupcake!

@Edd might be interested in this renovation project?

That’s nothing to be proud of! However anyone’s personal conscience is configured.

I don’t think there are many of us who do not produce unrecyclable waste. The Maker Space as organization certainly does not fall into that group. It seems rather arbitrary to me to impose limits on plastics for the reason that if you do certain things to them, they are no longer recyclable. Is it an unconscionable act to give a child an Airfix kit with glues and paints?

That’s not really what I meant.

I was just being a bit snarky about some of the upcycling I’ve seen, which produces things that can only be burnt or buried, which seems counter to the apparent original intention of helping the environment.

Thinking about the future of things we make can’t do any harm, and might influence the way we make things.

The scale we’re working on is pretty miniscule though in reality.

Not really followed the thread too much.
Just just jumping in half baked.

I agree that making stuff that is useful is good. Very good. Re purposing old crap into something that helps people is good and in my mind is a good objective. And a good reason for doing this. And I think is the reason for getting into this.

Using resources to turn old crap into new crap that no one uses, is worse than just having a pile of old crap.

[just to be clear, im not saying any one is in the crap crap or good crap camp! (It’s been a long day)]

1 Like

I did some injection moulding at collage, we made small ingots of differing plastic materials in the moulder and then tested them to destruction… Great fun but as I remember the hardest part was making the moulds themselves.
Vacuum forming was good fun too. The heat source can be as simple as an electric fire or heat gun.

Courty

1 Like

I might spend some time in the next couple weeks tinkering with the cupcake unless anyone has any objections?

Reviving this not because we’d want to do this in the space (as the machines are massive and designed for product development) but precious plastics just released a new version of their machines and I figured the people that were in this discussion might be curious about this! I found it really interesting, especially how they want to encourage using recycled materials for “boring” products like sockets and light switches.

2 Likes