Reclaiming hardwood flooring

Hi guys. I’ve got my hands on some metres of hardwood flooring that were headed for the skip, and want to get them ready for use. I think they’re oak though the colour looks more like walnut. I will post a pic later if somebody could help me identify!

The boards were glued to the surface beneath so there doesn’t appear to be any nails. First, I want to take a couple mm off the top and bang off the glue below, then ultimately run them through the jointer and square them up (inductions permitting).

With the lacquer and decades of grime pounded into the surface, attacking the top with a belt sander seems preferable to using a plane, but I’m worried about kicking up a tonne of dust. What are the usual considerations for this?

Might be easier to run it through the table saw to take top off?

General tactic for reclaimed wood (ie. it might contain nails) is go at it with the electric hand planer as it has very cheap blades. Belt sanding finishes is nasty work so preferable to use the hand planer. Try to keep it away from the big tools with expensive blades (jointer/thicknesser + table saw) while you aren’t sure it is nail free.

7 Likes

Attach vacuum to tool. Wear dust mask /Ppe let others in the workshop know what you are doing

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have a crack with the electric plane.

I’ll bring some blades. It’s a Bosch if I remember correctly? These ones? http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-tungsten-carbide-planer-blades-82mm-pack-of-2/52450

Here’s the underside of the boards. Including big nail holes! Any guesses what wood it is?

oak with a stain on it
a quick pass on the electric planer and you’ll see the real colour again

2 Likes

Bring your own blades …

And please get the worst of it off with a scraper

I will. Are these the right ones? http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-tungsten-carbide-planer-blades-82mm-pack-of-2/52450

Think so but the bosch ones are unnecessary you should be able to get cheaper ones

Stuck a couple of them together

4 Likes

Very nice - love the colour of the wood. Did you stain/oil it or leave it natural?

Boiled linseed oil. Well done, mystery wood!

1 Like

nicely done! i know the amount of work that went into that

love the wall colour btw

1 Like

Looks great! Love the finish

1 Like

One of the best things about people posting their projects is the chance to snoop at their houses…

3 Likes

Hey no snooping!

I found out that it’s Jatoba, also known as Brazilian Cherry, if anyone’s interested.

1 Like