Re-instroduction + question :)

Hi everyone,

I’ve joined the space in months ago and was popping by occasionally and attended quite a few workshops, but for the last few months I was totally away from the space as the work got a bit mad.
But now it’s settling, I’m craving to make!

So I thought to say hi again— hello :slight_smile:

My first project is probably rather ambitious for a beginner, a bedside table with a drawer.
I have the design, will share it here once the render is done.

One question I would like to ask— what’s the best or easiest timber to handle for beginners?
Eventually I would like to make the tables in oak but they’re quite pricey to practice on, so I’m looking to get some inexpensive material to try making one prototype.

Any suggestions?

Depends on the design I’d say. Could always knock up an extremely cheap prototype out of pallet wood or similar.

Pine or MDF…with cheap pine you could end up with lots of knots.

Red pine or redwood is nicer.

Idigbo has a lot of the characteristics of oak and is much cheaper

Dales right with the Pallet wood I think. You can pick up free pallets from some warehouses in South London, I picked some up from a company in Hanger Lane when I worked there last year. I helped a friend build an outdoor bench with that. If the Space has a planer, you can clean up the wood before you cut it, giving a much better finish.

just as an aside, we have a ‘no-dodgy looking reclaimed wood in the expensive planer policy’

3 Likes

Dang it! I guess Pallet wood is out of the question lol. Sorry!! I am new here… ahem.

For reclaimed wood, you can buy your own set of blades for the cheap planer (they’re not expensive)

Hi @Kaoru
The right choice depends from the design… does it have mortices and tenons? Dovetails? Just rebeted joints? Considering how the grain runs is very important for structural stability so if this is really your first attempt I would go for something composite so mdf or ply!
My first advice is to use quite big thicknesses, it makes your life easier! And also if you can try to use the standard ones (3, 6, 9, 18mm)
Good quality ply with a good sand and a nice wax can give off a very nice finish product, good to look at and strong and stable over time!

If you still want to use “real” timber pine is the way, is just a fact that you will make mistakes on your first project and pine is cheap!
Don’t go with construction pine tho, that stuff is very nasty… a good source of timber is ikea, they sell unfinished pine shelf that is a good enough quality and a low enough price!

Oh… and do yourself a favour… use new wood!! Many many headaches saved! :joy:

I hope this will help you and sorry for the long post!
Please ask if you want to chat about it!

Red grade pine , should be fine

Old plaits , you are just making pain for yourself

Oh lord, didn’t expect so many replies!
Thanks soooo much @DAC17 @afshind @Depak_Patel @peter_hellyer @tomnewsom @stefanoromano and @joeatkin2 !!

Looks like I’ll avoid reclaimed wood for now, I feel I need a bit more skills to tame those well.
For the prototype (and practice) I’ll probably get MDF or ply, since they’re really cheap.
Then move on to solid wood!

Thank you again every one :slight_smile: