QR Codes on Tools / Around the Space

The file is here:

slms.svg
slms.ai

Things to ensure:

• Keep things lined up, particularly on the left edge.
  • Use the Makerspace font (Dosis)
  • Don’t use CAPS it’s proven to make it harder to read.

The link think you can take or leave, it would require shortening otherwise it won’t work. The point I was making though is that @systems should probably implement this anyway because otherwise if the URL format of Discord changes at all with an update all the QR codes would need replacing in future.

I would emphasise that you need to consider people who don’t know what a “Trotec Speedy 300” is.

Inclusive design and language avoid relying on implicit knowledge like technical names and specs, so I suggested calling it “Laser Cutter”, not “Trotec Speedy 300”, but you could do both:

2 Likes

Think whatever we do would look good lasered on something like this:

https://hobarts.com/products/0-8mm-red-matt-on-white-laserflex-laser-engraving-laminate-ref-902?variant=44068594319597

My understanding is that the official font of the space is Source San Pro (https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/logo-brand-assets/5475) - If that’s changed please let me know as I’ll have to tweak some projects to keep things consistent

Very good point re:having the name of the type of machine the tag is attached to, i’ve added it to my mock up.

I’m going to keep the QR code centred (and as big as possible) as i think to looks better and reduces dead space, specially as i’m trying to avoid making the tags too big.

Personally i prefer the one on the left, i think saying you can do something (in this case Lone Work) is a bit redundant and the tag should only contain ‘stoppers’ to keep the tag glanceable.

I’ll explore how the design lasers on the weekend and report back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Re: Fonts.

I don’t know what the official answer is, if there even is one, but the original font and the one used on the logo full is Dosis.

I worked with some other members to update the brand and create all those templates, and introduced Source Sans Pro for the previous version of the website, but it doesn’t seem like the design scheme I did stuck after I left for a bit.

I am not really sure what the answer is, but the feedback from members at the time was they preferred Dosis as a headline typeface.

Either way, I agree with the point that showing lone working permitted is redundant and could be less clear.

Both of these look good to me.

Kyle’s process is currently a simple script that takes in a list of tools and their details (lone work, induction, names, link) from a csv and pops out all of the tags onto a simple print sheet.

It’s fast, quick, and easy, which means that we will be able to maintain the tags over time, get new ones for new tools, etc. That means that If we want to do one of these formats, I would highly recommend that a script is written that pops the tags out in a similar manner.

2 Likes

Happy to explore building a script once we lock in the design :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks good to me!
I would suggest putting the text at the bottom in bold, as these labels may fade and it’s important safety information, so should stand out more. But I don’t want to get into a “painting the shed” style discussion.

my 2p:

I like the formatting and content of Martyn’s most recent one, with the logo, bold tool type, not bold tool number, big QR code, then depending on the tool (caution) INDUCTION REQUIRED and/or (x or o with a line through it) NO LONE WORKING. Font choice should be tied to our branding, whatever we choose that to be - looks like there might be something to resolve there.

If we had a script, I think it would make sense to have the option to have it pop out either:

• a colored version to print on paper and use packing tape to attach
  • a version like you’ve designed that can be used on sticky backed laser laminate for a more permanent fancy label.
  • or - just the colored version, but in reverse to be dye-subbed onto white acrylic

Another thing I’ll add. Some of the tool pages are more process rather than tool related. For example I’m currently building out this page for sharpening, which covers a few tools (tormek, veritas jig, sharpening stones, strop) is different from the sharpening process used for lathe tools, but also uses the Tormek. I’d also like to do one that links to wood shop policies, the basic induction, maybe a few more. Rather than just a qr code tag, my thought was for signage something like this:

Untitled

Now that I’ve typed this all out, I think this is just a separate project that would be more one-offs, and I’d copy whatever formatting we choose for these tags.

Edit: I think some kind of standardized information plaque would be a good idea to have as well. A lot of the how-to pages should probably have a physical link in the space

1 Like

As someone with Dyslexia I have to agree with this. I find it much easier to read when its not in caps :slight_smile:

Proof of Concept done - looks great and now above the Laser Cutter’s Tool Control.

What do you think?

2 Likes

Throwing in my 2p.

Love how the prototype turned out, especially red on white contrast.

Is it a lot of trouble to put the lone working or not on all signs? It’s easy to assume here in a thread online that people will “just know” that the default unmarked is “yes lone working okay”, but overcommunicating can be very helpful, specifically for newer members. Especially since different people have different personal ideas of fear or danger.

Echoing Neil’s comments re: contrast.
I’ve previously made comments about how some of our safety signage is worryingly low-contrast so I was eager to ensure this wasn’t repeated, but I think the prototype contrast looks really good.

I like Max’s idea of categorising tools of a ‘type’ together for important functions. I’m not sure the correct implementation but I think it’s heading in the right trajectory. Maybe we should generalise it and think about what other categories might exist, and see if looking at the broader picture might lead us to the right answer?

I also think short text URLs are good but discourse.slms.etc.etc/[numbers] is probably too long. slms.to/[numbers] (the same as the full URL) could be sufficient?

I know I don’t have the answers, mainly because these aren’t easy problems to elegantly solve and if they were you’d already have solved them.

Perhaps one additional comment is for us to think about the overlap/alignment between QR codes for ‘work spaces’ and serialisation of the tools that exist within them. For example, I wouldn’t expect a QR code on every hand power tool, but ideally it’d be good to have some unique traceability from tool to maintenance record/any specific info/consumables/etc. The QR code could direct to a list of tools within the work space, for example. For spaces such as the laser cutter where the space is the tool, that’s redundant but the page could include reference to e.g. permitted materials, recommended suppliers, etc.

I think once there’s a consistent and broad effort of capturing this info and having an easy means of retrieving it, it becomes much easier to support newbies by being able to consistently encourage referring to that. Lowering the barrier to tool page access via these QR codes works towards that goal.

I agree - also the lone working warning, being at the bottom of the label, is prone to being obscured or cut off. If there’s always a lone working allowed/prohibited message then we condition people to expect it to be there and verify when it isn’t, rather than assume it’s OK.

Thanks for everyone’s comments -

Considering the QR takes the member to the relevant tools page, and if there’s an issue with the QR code the machine’s name is on the tag which can been looked up on the Tools page or Google. What’s the need for a short URL?

If the URL changes (we rebrand in the the future, or move to a different URL, or move off Discourse) only the QR code is broken, not a URL as well.

We have limited space on the tag - are we really expecting people to type on their phones a URL (no matter how short) vs scanning a QR code?

Short URLs add an extra expense and admin overhead

The techs in the area that has the Tag to point the QR code to whatever is relevant to their space/tool

That’s what’s already on the Tools page

Agreed - the Tag should only contain stoppers/exceptions - otherwise each tag is going to contain a lot of un nesserary information, that make them impractical size and makes it less likely for members to use them.
For example:

• Induction Required
  • Lone Working Prohibited
  • Safety Equipment Must Worn
    etc.

That’s actually the opposite of what I was saying, sorry.

Sorry - my bad for miss reading

Here’s an example based on the comments about putting everything on the tag, for the embroidery machine

I’d argue that everything under the QR code is redundant, makes the tag cluttered and confusing meaning that any important information could be missed.

You are missing the point of the short url, whether you print it in text or not. The reason for it is you point the QR code to that, not the forum post.

Then when you scan the QR you get sent to a permanent link rather than a temporary one which could break. That permanent link can easily be edited later to redirect wherever we wanted.

The limitation is that you have to pay to host a URL shorter forever. But it has other benefits besides just this safety application.

I hope that makes more sense?

ahh - got you, good thinking

If it’s going to be ‘hidden’ behind a QR code, the URL doesn’t need to be shortened - we can look at using a URL redirector our current domain - southlondonmakerspace.org/redirector/qr-code-directory/12345 can redirect to the items discourse tool page.
It’s something worth investigating.

Exactly yes, but my suggestion for a shortener is it serves multiple purposes. For example on social media where Instagram is the main way Makerspace seems to promote itself a short URL is easier when it doesn’t support links in all posts.

The thinking being if you are setting this up once you light as well do it for all. Same reason I said for adding the url under the qr code. It makes it more accessible.

In any event the permalink bit is the important bit of what I’m saying.