QR Codes on Tools / Around the Space

Forgetfulness about turning off all caps - fixed. Here you go

Surely in those cases you’ll turn to one of our many PCs to look up the tools page using the machine name?

If we’re going to have text underneath each tag what other bits do we want included? Personally i think it makes it looks crowded and doesn’t draw attention to the bits that matter.

hey guys what about this

like @Martyn_Thomas’s idea with more info but slightly decluttered

• moving the logo to the QR, freeing up space at the top for a layman’s machine name
  • using ticks/crosses to communicate whether stuff is needed (rather than ticks and then permitted/not permitted which is kinda difficult to parse)

also 2 things to mention from having done QR codes for events, business cards, merch, etc

• you want the QR code to be as chonky and simple as possible so that it scans on the 1st time, phone cameras read them poorly irl so i would suggest a density like the below vs some of the earlier ones
  • knowing that some of the discourse links are going to be lengthy it will result in very non simple codes, so +1 for using a shortened link like slms.to/12345 to redirect to discourse

@Geraetefreund asked about contingencies for lost/cracked phones, if we used a link shortener we could have a number assigned for each tool, which we put on the tag - (for example the below) which would be slmls.to/12

random designer thoughts:
both have different vibes to them, 2nd is less cluttered and conveys a more functional/industrial/modern look; whereas the1st is like a remix of that industrial/modern look with a touch of hidden away makerspace spice (logo blends into and hides within the business of the QR code), at the cost of being slightly more visually dense (if you move back 1-2m the 2nd is more immediately legible)

1 Like

Nice design :slight_smile: Though i’m not a fan of the logo in the QR code, but that’s just me.

There was suggestion using ISO signs rather than ticks

The tag should include the model name of the item so if the QR fails (or if someone has lost their phone) they know what to look up in the tools page.

My view re:clutterness, using the embroidery machine as an example, because you don’t need an induction, or safety equipment or a lone working limitation to use the machine (aka there’s no stoppers), having them listed in it’s tag feels redundant - my view is that we should only include ‘stoppers’ on tags to keep them easy to read, to the point about steps the member should consider when using the machine. But if the majority view is we fill tags up i’m not going to argue.

Re: stoppers. I agree with you. If the only difference between “induction required” and “no induction required” is the word “no”, that message will be ignored. “Induction required” vs nothing written stands out more and is notable.

For symbols, each of the notices on the tag should have a different symbol, if there’s iso standard ones, great. Tick/x next to each notice doesn’t stand out as much.

I think we keep it simple - Rather than having different symbols for different stoppers, making it cluttered.

• if there’s a stopper, it has the warning icon next to it and the list of stopper statements.

like the example on the left here (but in mixed text case as per this thread - this is an old example image)

Are there many tools we want to go on the record saying no safety equipment required? Even soldering irons can require fume exhaustion at times.

I think the point of these is to serve as info to those who have zero context so I think being explicit about inductions in both cases makes sense. We get asked a lot “Can I use tool x?”.

I also think having a little reminder for long term members whether they can lone work is helpful.

1 Like

Soldering always requires extraction because rosin based flux is an asthmagen. Additionally all flux-core solder spits when it is heated and could land in your eye so requires any kind of eye-protection, reading glasses would work.

What you are describing is usually done through a traffic light colour-code system in most workshops that have a wide community of users, like in education. Where typically Red = Staff only, Yellow = After Tool specific iInduction, Green = No specific induction required (note that most educational places would have a workshop induction that’s very light weight and more detailed tool-specific inductions).

The original idea was to have Red tags for items that have stoppers (like need inductions etc.), and green for items that don’t - but if we’re just going to list everything even if it’s not a stopper the colour approach won’t work.

Also, you can’t rely on colour alone.

I think we are in danger of decision paralysis here. Lets just make some using the colour as the induction requirement and follow roughly what has been agreed so far. Once we have a few out there it will be easier to get feedback on them from the members and go from there.

1 Like

I’m happy to have color in some cases in addition to the explicit text. We have to ensure these are accessible to color blind members. It’s likely to affect 1 in 20 members.

You can check that using something like https://color.adobe.com/create/color-contrast-analyzer. I assume it works for physical objects as well as websites. It seems like for Red with white text so long as the font is big enough it should pass. For green it depends on the colour.

More the fact that it’s red or green :slight_smile:

Oh I see. Yes I agree the text has to be explicit even if we have the colour.

The only outstanding information that needs to be agreed:

• What stopper information should be included on the tag, we currently have:
    –Induction
    –Lone Working
    –Safety Equipment
    – Extraction
    Is there anything else that we want to add?

• Do we want the tag to include only the stopper information relevant to the item (for example if it needs induction), or contain everything regardless of if it’s relevant?

My 2p - as Max put it so well:

I think we should only include stoppers that are relevant to the item.

My plan is to do final mock ups on Friday based on final comments/feedback

I believe induction and lone working with the respective symbol to the left in all cases comunicates most clearly. I might use a tick without a “field” to make it more visually distinct.

For the record, the text bit can be anything so long as the URL ends in the number.

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/skeletor/31592

1 Like

Or omitted entirely :slight_smile: https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/31592

Works for posts too but I haven’t found a quick way of grabbing them short of the network tab when editing

A bit of an aside, but take a look at what this makerspace does.

They call their induction required tools “red equipment”, have a safety sheet which I assume gets printed next to the tool, as well as the relevant safety symbols.

The tool page links to safety information, training material, and an induction quiz. I like a lot of what I see going on here.

1 Like

My 2 cents here. There are two bits of info to codify, induction requirement and lone-working requirement. Color can represent induction, and the tag shape can indicate lone-working status? square for safe-to-lone-work, triangle if unsafe? Triangle because it’s an implicit warning.

Regardless of shape/color, I think the text needs to be there, and I think the icons to confirm the message are definitely helpful.