Proposal: Exploratorium

Concept

When visitors come around, and new users start using the space, the range of things to show them varies - if the person doing the tour brings in stuff, or makers happen to be working on a project.

We already have a tiny range of items on the window frame by the front door, but it is quite weak.

Once some space opens up in Arch 1, I propose the following:

1. A curated set of permanent exhibit items - anyone doing a tour should be able to pick up an item that illustrates what members do in the space (perhaps with some text so that the explanations don’t rely on the tour guide’s knowledge).
    For 3D printing, for example: .

2. A member exhibit space - items on display for a fixed period with a maker’s card (name, project description). Each exhibit would also get photographed for our web/social media.

I’m willing to be the curator for both.

I’ve turned this post into a wiki so that members can contribute ideas in a single structured post rather than a long chain of replies.

A curated set of permanent exhibit items

3D printing

• A single-wall vase - demonstrates the concept of deposition well
  • A functional print with obvious purpose and strength - please propose something, with a link
  • Some items printed with “exotic” filaments - please volunteer to print something
  • An octopus - to demonstrate print-in-place
  • Something that demonstrates the specific use-case for additive manufacturing - please suggest something that can only be made using a 3D printer
  • A screen-shot of thingiverse - to explain the source of many models
  • A screenshot of Fusion 360 - to explain the design process
  • A visual flowchart

Laser

• A sample cut card to demonstrate settings and outputs - Brendon working on this
  • A coaster in several variations of materials, cut and engrave settings - to make the cut card practical - have this already
  • An example of a press-fit jointed box - have this already (but the lock is broken)
  • An example of a living hinge
  • Examples of paper, card objects etc
  • A tealight holder - demo of flat-pack items that are assembled into 3D objects - have already

Textiles

• Something from the knitting machine

Electronics

Working projects and associated explanations:

• Breadboard
  • Protoboard
  • Custom PCB
  • Arduino
  • Raspberry Pi
  • A set of electronics components to illustrate the range
10 Likes

Great idea @Brendon_Hatcher! I was thinking something similar just the other day, the selection of stuff in the window is random and could be way better! I often see people looking in from the outside, would be good if each frame had a tag also like “Laser”, “CNC”, “Woodworking” or whatever, like a showcase of what we offer… with cool examples that like you said can also be picked up in a tour or something…

3 Likes

Hey @Brendon_Hatcher- lets do this! At least spend a little time this week possible curating the front window! Let me know if that works and when you are in?

Thanks!!!
Andy

1 Like

I’m happy to donate my print in place swivel, (barely) functional drag knife until someone donates something better

1 Like

Would it go on the CNC shelf or 3d printing… Ahhhh!!! :weary:

2 Likes

It can be a traveling exhibition article.

1 Like