Power supplies + ESP32

Electro hive mind!

I want to run an esp32 and 60 neopixels. This will be wired directly into a 6amp ac circuit.

I’m looking for some form of sensible power supply.

Was thinking something like this (i’ll Be embedding this into some kind of project box):

Is this sensible thinking?

@electrotechs ?

Look for a meanwell PSU module , then , if you don’t want to spend that ammount on the brand , look for the same part number on eBay for a knock off model

1 Like

The PSU needs to be appropriately sized for the DC side, the AC side will be relatively low current anyway, prob wont get near 1 amp.

Fag packet maths.

60 pixels at ~60ma each is 3.2a + an ESP at 70ma ave/400ma peak - call it 3.5A @ 5v peak load
PSU needs to be 100% over spec if you want it to run cool and not implode so your looking at a ~6A switcher really + a decent cap to smooth the lumps.
The ESP also needs a smooth 3.3v so you can run it via the USB in or you’ll need a small reg to generate this voltage from the 5v line too.

Courty

2 Likes

Thanks, so you know any good board mountable ones? Was going to try and put together a low quality, but simple board. For that matter how much of a pain in the ass is it to solder the esp?

The standalone chip or a module? The qfn packages are fairly tricky but possible to solder with hot air.

I bought the 5a 5v version of these for my kitchen lights. Intending to use a nodeMCU board because I have lots and they have a built in voltage regulator that will let them run on 5v.

This is not so much a recommendation as a hope-I-bought-the-right-thing post.

Defo buy the nodeMCU boards - mostly very good (even the eBay versions) and, like Rich says, they have the regulator on board + the other required components to make it east to use.
I would still add a beefy cap to the 3.3v side though as they REALLY hate noise on the powerline.

Courty

was that the meanwell one? or the one I liked to from mouser?

Might use nodeMCU and I have a few knocking about but I enjoy pointlessly complicating a problem :wink:

The module, is what I have in mind, rather than the dev-boards. Was going to expose the correct pins, and make a breakout for actually programming the damn things. Looking for something nice and minimal that will have a super small form factor.

Wemos D1 mini :wink:

I have the diagram for the minimum supported config for you then but it does complicate programming and general support! Sounds perfect, lol

Courty

Or build one of these

So, I’ve been making a thing.
I sort of understand what I’ve made (single output on IO0 for Neopixels). Have I made an ass of ESP32 hookup though? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Will be powered at +5v by this bad boy: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/embedded-switch-mode-power-supplies-smps/0130754/

1 Like

any thoughts there @electrotechs?

Can you make it down Thursday for a look ?

Courty

I think is fine ,
I can see a diode for back emf protection and a capacitor for filtering .
if you want to slim down the control part , you can use this trick to avoid to use a transistor as a level translator (and , in that case, check if the transistor can drive at the frequency you will need )