(Potential) Sewing for Circular Fashion Workshop

Hello friends! I’m thinking doing a test run of a workshop idea that I’ve had in mind and wanted to see if anyone would be interested in attending. In other words, will you help me workshop my workshop? :upside_down_face:

The idea is that everyone would bring in an item that isn’t quite right. You know the one hiding in the back of the closet that needs mending, doesn’t fit right, isn’t your quite style, etc. We will cover the very basics of repair, alteration, and modification and then get practical and figure out what exactly will get that item of clothing working for you again. Hopefully you’ll leave excited to wear your refreshed piece and have learned from what other people did to repair and revamp their pieces as well.

If you’re interested in attending please let me know here. Hoping for four to six people at most. Only one day! No previous sewing skills required.

I’m hoping to casually host this at the space one day over the weekend of either October 1st & 2nd or 8th & 9th, so do also let me know what dates would work for you.

Thanks all!

7 Likes

I can’t say I have an article in mind but sounds like a really cool idea!

2 Likes

Well, I definitely have enough random thrifted items —both men’s and women’s— to supply stuff to work/play with!

2 Likes

I’ll be there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lauren, I really like your idea and the approach!

I’ve only had my “induction” for the sewing machine a couple of months ago :wink: , but I’d love to learn how to fix the hem of a pair of trousers I love… so what I’m saying is, my confidence is very low on both my sewing skills and experience, but if I’d fit the target audience of your workshop, I’d be happy to come and play! :safety_pin:

Just realized, I’d be available Oct 8/9 only.

2 Likes

my levis jean jacket keeps tearing at the same place, id be very happy to learn a long lasting fix. I can do 2nd Oct only though!

1 Like

If you want an extra pair of hands to help out, I’d like to come but can’t make the weekend of 1/2 Oct unfortunately.

1 Like

@mounia @Verde @KPJ @MattGilmour @Lily_Atkins @CatHulme @Laure_Belotti @Katybird @Chantel @KPJ @jonfaulkner @leila @Lauramess @ingasr

Sorry to spam you all with these tags— just hoping that people actually see this post since I’m working rather last minute.

Thanks again for your help, friends!

2 Likes

Blaire and I can do the 8th/9th weekend and we have a few items on the “to fix” list.

1 Like

I would totally be up for this on the 2nd!

1 Like

@mikekelly @smjmaker @ClemJ @Graeme123 @Dan @EDolby @Pau @Pav

Just tagging a few more of you who expressed interest in a different sewing workshop discussed last spring. Hope you’re all well!

Unfortunately out of town until the 16th, but would have loved to participate! I think it’s a really good idea. So would join the workshop it might turn into :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, this is a great idea! I am free either weekend

2 Likes

I have no idea about this but have a few jeans that have basically no pockets as they have desitegrated so am interested :smiley:

2 Likes

No pockets you say?

Gabby Young | Gabberdashery shared a post on Instagram: "A client got me to fix some some jeans pockets which were both totally ripped to shreds so I decided to replace them instead - there was not much online on how to do this so I thought I’d show...

1 Like

Alright! Thanks so much everyone!

It looks like a quite a few more of you are available on the second weekend proposed. I’m going schedule this workshop for Sunday, 9th October from 12pm-4pm. Please mark your calendars! I will also create a private message group for any other questions or details we may wish to discuss.

If any members happen to see this thread later and wish to join the workshop, please just let me know and I will gladly add you. Please note that if you’re interested in picking up some skills, but don’t have a garment to work on, I can provide one. (Looking at you @Kyle!) (Also, @father let me know if you’re able to make the 9th.)

Sorry to those of you that voted for the first! @petra and @iNerdier I’d be happy to help you with repairs on a one-to-one basis-- feel free to message me here or just find me at the space.

Thank you so much @slimshelly @Geraetefreund @TracyD @Julia @MattGilmour and Blaire! See you soon!

4 Likes

Yeah i’m good for that date :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll be there! Thank you!!!

3 Likes

I should be able to be there! :slight_smile: I’ll bring my mending books as well.

I mean I can help out with mending things, rather than need anything to mend. I’m also really good at sizing up clothes.

1 Like

I should be there.

1 Like