Possible programmable knitting machine donation

Hi everyone

Last year I started on a project of getting together the things needed for a programmable knitting machine. I got all the pieces needed around March. Unfortunately my mental health has been very bad so I haven’t even opened some of the packaging let alone set anything up. Right now it’s all just a horrible reminder. I would like to donate everything to the makerspace but wanted to mention everything here and find out if you have space for it all.

I have:

• 1 Brother Electronic Knitting Machine KH-910
    • This is the thing I’ve done most work on, but it needs the most work as it came to me in poor condition without a power supply and with most of the needles jammed. I opened it up to check it was in tact (as I had no power supply) and everything was there. Both spongebars need replacing as they were badly perished. The perished needle retaining sponge bar had leaked on to the needles, making them sticky so I removed them all for cleaning and they still need to be cleaned and put back. The machine is currently in its original box.

I also have the All Yarns Are Beautiful interface for the KH910 which I bought off Evil Mad Scientist. The knitting machine won’t need the power cord if this is in use.

The following things I bought off eBay and are in whatever packaging they were sent to me in, unopened and I haven’t checked that they are as described from the ebay listing.

• Power Cord for Brother knitting machine KH910
  • KR830 KR838 KR850 Carriage Complete for Brother Knitting Machine
  • Brother KRC-830 Colour Changer

This set up should allow for programmable double bed jacquard knitting.

Given the work that needs doing in setting this up is it something you would accept as a donation?

ATTN: @textilestechs

I would be happy to put some time into sorting this if the @textilestechs felt it was something they wanted

As a school I boy did some sewing and enjoyed it (sweat shirts and back packs) - never done any knitting though

I love knitting machines!!! I would love to do this but unfortunately i got a full time job recently and won’t be able to sort it out for a while but if anyone else wants to it would be worth it as it’s a great machine!

I’d be happy to donate a couple hours.

1 Like

Just a note to say that although I have zero skills that would be useful in getting it working, I would definitely be interested in using it…

Does this machine do perl as well as knit? I know @sabtab ‘s machine won’t easily so this would be a fantastic addition if it does. I’ll also gladly help with it.

I don’t know anything about it, but it sounds like it could be a good thing to have in the tools.

so does it have the nod now ?

Three further things from me

1. How long should it be given to be up and running ?
  2. Should it not be up and running or not get used etc does the owner/donor have an issue of how where it is disposed of .
  3. where will it live in SLMS, is there space in the sewing area
1 Like

Sabrina knows the gear, and therefore has the power to inspire others to use it, would it be most sensible to discuss storing it until Sabrina has a chance to have a session with it?

Just checking in on this… I can drop the gear off on weekends if you are interested in storing it?

This sounds like a great opportunity

@textilestechs it’s really down to you to say yes or no, and to be sure there’s space to store it

I think we should take it, although will need to be stored until later use.

Looks like we need to rationalise the existing collection of knitting machines…

In case this is helpful: The knitting machine itself is in a box that is 1.2m x 30cm x 20cm. The Colour changer is in a box 50cm x 10cm x 80cm long. The extra carriage is in a box about 40cm x 10cm x 10cm. The other items are really negligible size in comparison and could possibly even go inside the knitting machine box.

If the answer is yes and you would be able to store the things before deciding when would be a good time to drop them off? I’m not a member anymore so I don’t have access.

Sabrina knows a lot about them, I think it’s a case of the hare and the snail, Sabrina will be ready to explain the machines in a while. Are there parts we are storing that definitely don’t have much use?

Hi, sorry i’ve been busy and unable to come to the space and contribute much… if members are not using the knitting machine parts I guess we should have a talk about their need/use in the space. But I hope more people will take it up :crossed_fingers: :blush:

Hi @sabtab check the first post in this thread: there’s a programmable knitting machine offered, and we need your opinion on it

My comment was to point out that there seem to be a lot of knitting machines and maybe some of them could make way for this one?

Oh sorry!!! Yes I think this is a great machine that is hard to find, the only thing is that I can’t commit to reparing it (although I wish I could) but it’s great project! I vote yes to it!

1 Like

I’m happy to come and find a place for it to live and try to work out how it’s set up.

1 Like