Poll : Cameras in the Space

There isn’t a debate, we have agreement to replace the existing system but no one can do this without @systems and no one has come forward to do it.

It needs to be a proper solution, not Raspberry Pis with cameras or some other janky home brew solution.

2 Likes

Right , shall we have a discussion about how many projects @systems have blocked , how to resolve them and how to unblock this mess ? Because this is becoming ridiculous.

2 Likes

Andrea, you’ve misunderstood… this isn’t that @jonathanjo and let’s call him by his name and remember he is a person with his own life and responsibilities just like you, and not @somethingtowhineat.

To be clear my point was that whoever does this project would need to work with Jonathan on this and that the last time the CCTV was brought up loads of people had ideas about using various different open source solutions like Raspberry Pis and cameras, and using Zone Minder, which we’ve tried before and didn’t work reliably, the current system was working but the cables got damaged by people or mice.

So, please can we show some respect to fellow members rather than this hotheadedness you are showing towards another member who has done a lot for the space.

1 Like

I wasn’t judging anyone, as I said, let’s try to figure out what’s needed to unblock this situation.

I’m happy to be shifted to systems is needed , as I said before, I have 15 years of experience with embedded Linux systems , networks , sensors and I worked on work safety project as well.

I could do more there then in electrotechs which need pure time investment and physical presence.

TBH on our last conversation everyone was happy to go for a commercial product , I’m happy to investigate that too, but we need budget and guidelines.

1 Like

We should probably get the cameras working out front, as long as it’s low cost

Are the existing ones really no good?

The situation nowadays is that there are a lot of working cameras on the Bath Factory Estate…and they did nothing to stop the theft of bikes from outside Canopy…the police simply weren’t interested

You can put it up for discussion at the next meeting

We already have @naxxfish who has volunteered to be part of @systems and the @directors just need to meet with Jonathan about this, they and he all have busy schedules, so it’s been tricky.

Currently there are three cameras, but the network cables to two of them have failed or are intermittent because they were only done with temporary wiring, and the indoor camera was unplugged during some work and never reconnected.

I don’t think the existing cameras are no good, but they were bought on a tight budget, they cost £30 each including delivery as I recall. The NVR is similarly low cost and the concequence is lack of back up battery for the clock, and a unfriendly user interface.

The suggestion I made was to have a look at a range of options, but that the reality is that good systems cost money, Unifi make a really good NVR software you can run on your own computer if you don’t want to pay for their NVR hardware, but you have to use it with their cameras, which are more expensive than el’cheapo ones with similar specifications.

The work involved needs someone to run new outdoor grade network cable from the switch above the toilet to the two outdoor cameras and fix those cables properly to the walls to make them more durable.

1 Like

None of this has been decided, and is all subject to the.directors meeting with Jonathan

Thats exactly what I just said, that someone has volunteered and the directors are going to talk to Jonathan about it.

Whats the problem?

Oh, it looked like you were second guessing what our meeting was about

A couple of suggestions to take or leave:

Wireless IP cameras;
Android devices with appropriate camera and app make half-decent security cameras;
4/8/16 channel NVR are fairly cheap without SATA hard disk (which we can add ourselves);

Eww

No to camaras.

London hackspace had tons of camaras and no crimes were prevented or resolved.

1 Like

Unlike hackspace the cameras can only be viewed by directors and systems when physically at the space and with notification of each event on Discourse mandated.

No spying on people for minor rule infractions.

3 Likes

thats considerably better indeed. <3

Instinctively I’m uncomfortable with cctv but I’ve become desensitised, considering they’re everywhere anyway and now so small you wouldn’t even know.

Although as you say, it’s unlikely to catch anyone because they’ll know of their presence.

It might prevent if focused on the chisel rack, electronics and other areas of concern?

Likewise not a fan of the idea of cameras inside the space.

In the case of the chisels. Sure it’s annoying, but can replace these for a quid a pop at a second hand market. Definitely not worth spending many times that amount on cameras.
On the odd chance that something does go missing who can really be bothered to trawl through possibly hours / days of cctv to try and find it which chances are you’ll be unable to spot it.

In the case of electronics I think that’s either prior to the honesty box or people unsure of how this very new system works.
Measures have since been put in place to make this much more obvious.

2 Likes

I agree although it’s likely that like that if asked the majority would support cameras, there is no evidence they are needed and the impact on individuals who don’t want them at all would be substantial.

This is why we didn’t have internal cameras last time we voted on this.

one outside, pointing at the vent system / road may be a good idea !

Courty

1 Like