Poll : Cameras in the Space

Recently we had some issues with the safety in the space , In one occasion someone from outside the space got in and started to bother some members, we still have issue with equipment and/or materials disappearing and the other small issues (like abandoned materials and properties in the space ) could possibly be solved with the help of some cameras in the space.

At the moment there is one , pointing at the door , apparently some time ago a vote from the community decided that we can have 3 more additional cameras but is never been applied.

I would like to hear your voice about this .

Would you be comfortable to have cameras in the space, knowing that just a restricted and trusted number of people would access to it?

Do you agree to let the space invest in such infrastructure?

Thanks ![poll type=regular]

• One camera pointing at the door
  • Multiple cameras inside and at door
  • No cameras
    [/poll]
2 Likes

I totally agree +1 from me

ps: you are re-opening an old can of worms here good luck

1 Like

To clarify: We originally agreed on three cameras: Two outside, looking either way. One inside, looking at the door. All three were installed. No extra cameras were proposed or agreed on.

1 Like

Oh, ok , thanks , I understand , let’s keep it then as " would people agree to have cameras in the space "? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah sorry I didn’t make that clear. We have permission for three but they don’t show what happens inside the space and I still think we should ask the members before going ahead with replacing them as it’s been a while and it’s a contentious issue.

I’d suggest a proposal is put forward initially for just whether we have cameras at all for this members meeting. Then next members meeting we have the proposal for how many and how much money would be spent and how they would operate.

1 Like

Probably best to get the ones we have got working first

Hi All … those who would like to help get the cameras working: please could you contact me directly and we’ll get it moving forwards. Kind regards, Jonathan.

2 Likes

@emuboy - great point to raise - maybe you could put a discourse poll in your original post, so that people can vote? There’s a button to make a poll when editing/creating a post.
Options like: no CCTV, external only, external and internal (front door only), full internal and external
?

2 Likes

here we go :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice one

1 Like

This is kinda want I was talking about in the other thread, where people repeat the pole every year until they get the what they want .

Sorry just seemed like a good example of what I was talking about

This is a issue that changes the feeling of the space and a pole when discos is at a all time low is not responsible

I didn’t remember a previous vote. Definitely a reminder that we need an effective way of making and recording decisions, to head off circular discussions.

What was the previous result?

If it was a year ago, it may still be worth reviewing whether anything has changed since…

And I think having positive and constructive discussions is a good way to combat any negativity elsewhere.

1 Like

@unknowndomain should be able to link it .

But it was a london and difficult issue , and I seem to remember that it the conclusion was that the majority of people were happy with cameras but a significant minority were uncomfortable with it so it was decided that the minimum number should used .

Two more than I am comfortable with.

from memory nobody could prove that camera’s would be a detent but the one at the door would log who faces as evedence

The poll was in January 2016, and members agreed to a camera outside, on the door and covering every major area, however the feeling was that people who didn’t like it were extremely vocally unhappy about it so I didn’t pursue it in-spite of the result:

2 Likes

Agree that we don’t want to make people feel uncomfortable. I would think of security cameras as an evidential tool if there was a break in, or (god forbid) a serious injury or any violence.
Personally, I think it would be good to capture faces of those entering the arch, and the outside area, as a minimum.
But I appreciate not everyone shares that view - and it’s definitely an issue that needs careful consideration. Beyond the views shared on Discourse, it’s definitely one for discussion at a meeting.

1 Like

Thanks @unknowndomain for sharing previous poll results

1 Like

Interesting thing to discuss. Something to add, when I was LHS I found access to the camera system (all members have it) very useful for looking if large tools like the laser cutter or 3d printers were in use to time my trips. To be fair I appreciate this could be better solved by having a usage indicator on the members area here when we get tool control

2 Likes

Seems logical and a simple enough solution IMHO it’s even worse we use to have that freedom and we lost it.

The plan is to have tool status displayed in the membership system at some point.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s time to re-visit the CCTV debate, what with chisels, Pi Zeros and personal wood projects evidently being chored from the space?

If this isn’t the way to raise this, I’d like to get it on the agenda for the next members meeting.

1 Like