Planer/Thickneser action

Hi @woodtechs,

I have a piece of rough timber 2050x100x75 that I would like to plane and thickness.

Would one of you be so kind as to let me know when the P/T is next hovered into the middle of the room for action.

Many thanks,

Hi Clix,
For that sort of length we can choose a quiet evening and help you process it.
What’s the timber, may I ask? Is it fresh or recycled?

Hi Edward,

Thats great thank you.

I’m not sure what wood it is exactly (probably old pine) and by the looks of it I think it was a sub floor timber that supported floor joists as it has 7 old nail holes for very large nails at about 400mm centres. I have gone over it carefully with a hand held metal detector and got no beeps so I imagine they all came out nicely with the joists.

I’m quite flexible with my time so perhaps it’s better if you choose a quiet evening and let me know.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I also have some timber that i’d like to plane and thickness, which will be fresh from the timber yard, any chance I can join in if I can make whatever evening you decide on?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

That’s fine with me but I guess you’ll need the nod from a woodtech

Well I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that Nick’s timber (being straight from the woodyard) we can put through the nice planer thicknesser.

The bad news is that your timber, Clix, cannot, as being reclaimed, we don’t to risk the expensive knives on it.
The further good news is that we can work around that with the electric hand planer and smaller thicknesser.

Do you both have woodshop foundation inductions?

Yes, I have done the foundation induction.

Ideal.
As it happens I’ll be down at the workshop tomorrow evening between about 5pm and 8pm if that works for you?

Alternatively, I can be down Monday, Wednesday or Thursday evenings next week.

@Jonty_Bottomley may be able to help with times outside that…

Thanks Edward,

Monday would be great for me if that’s ok, please let me know what time is good for you?

Cheers

Great thanks, I have done the foundation induction also.

I can’t make Monday but looks like I need a different kind of assistance to Clix anyway.

Wednesday or Thursday evening would be perfect for me if it’s not too much trouble to do two trips in a week? I’m not in any rush so if there’s another time that suits better then that’s great.

Clix,
Apologies, something has come up at work today and I won’t be down at the workshop this evening.

@Jonty_Bottomley, any chance you’re about and could show Clix how to put stuff through the little thicknesser safely?

Sure, pop down whenever.

Earlier is better, will be there from 12

1 Like

I plan on leaving by 7pm latest… might not go as planned but try and come down before then.