Pile of stuff blocking the bike rack

Hello all,
The bike rack is currently blocked by:

• 2 pallets
  • a coffee table
  • a sphere of plywood and chicken wire, and what may be a blue and white sheet to cover it?

Is this all scrap/rubbish? Where did it come from?
If it’s yours, please create a storage request and stow it out of the way.

Thank you!

More generally, we need to put some defensive bollards (flower pots…) so the toast rack is actually usable and not blocked by cars.

Or, and I dread saying this, the toast rack needs to be repositioned so it’s in front of the upright one, and then we need to bollard it up.

2 Likes

Also dumped here:

• a tyre
  • about 50 bricks, many wrapped in fabric, faded from sunshine.
  • pile of 18mm MDF offcuts EDIT: @stefanoromano, is this yours?

This looks like it was part of an outdoor installation.

Can whoever put this here make themselves known., and please remove it ASAP.

This is a bike and garden area, not a storage area.

Is the MDF on top of the bin bags, and with glue-y edges? If so, it’s part of the word workshop clear out for collection by Quantum.

Yes, bollarded in a good idea! Was there a specific logic in the current placement of the rack? Preventing vehicles filling the garden? Maybe it would be easier to bollard if it was closer to the other bike rack?

1 Like

There’s a four mile long post that lead to the placement of the racks…

For the record I make it about 17 bags…really not up for emptying the stinking red bin in the name of accuracy…

Had to cut the padlock off red bin as code seems to have been reset. Will order new one now.

1 Like

Yum. Thanks for that. I remember one of the padlocks being a bit sticky. Maybe it just died?

Well, if there was plenty of location discussion, perhaps let’s focus on some bollarding for now. Do we think 4 large matching pots would do? Sturdy and 60cm+ tall?

Plant pots? I think they might get ‘nudged’ by vehicles…just like our dry block wall…

1 Like

Yes, very true - then do we just make some neat stacks of breeze blocks? Or even reuse the red bricks which have appeared (toppling hazard?)…

Was the toast rack installed in a “designed” spot, or more simply where it was possible to bolt in down? I ask ‘cos my memory was it going in front of the other rack. Tho’ I haven’t re-read that thread.

Some of the mdf offcuts are mine, I left it there thinking to be back in few hours but I have to fly in italy for a family mourning, can someone move it for me please? I really apologize!
anyone that wants them feel free to use it!

Toast rack can easily be moved… 4 bolts. Let me know where it needs to go and I’ll do it.

N

2 Likes

Toast rack: thinking about it there were some drawings of different options. I’m not sure what the best place is, how much we should consolidate a bike area vs. occupy what’s in front of our arch as garden / making space.

@lewisss has identified the rest of the new gear as the teapot art installation from the roof of Parlour.

Parlour have said the artist who did it was supposed to have removed it, so will be in contact with them.

1 Like

My issue with a low breeze block wall or similar is that it is not very visible to drivers, particularly at night. Anything that is designed to keep back cars should come up past door/bonnet level for the sake of visibility.

2 Likes

We can make timber planters which:

• enhance the area
  • are soft enough not to damage vehicles which stray
  • adjustable - design so pallet trolley moves them
  • are vulnerable to damage

Or…

Embed some I-beam steels:

• no one would mess with them
  • bit brutal
  • in forever
1 Like

Reply from Parlour:

Ok so here’s what happened. They took it down because of weather warning about high winds (which look like they won’t happen). They tried to remove the whole thing but BFE is so clogged with cars it was too tricky on first attempt to do it. Am waiting for confirmation about when they’ll get rid - have said it needs to be asap. Sorry!!

1 Like

Of the two, I’d favour wooden planters. As a quick interim solution, and to help work out where we’d want to site something more sturdy, how about a few of these:

…with makerspace-red-and-white poles stuck in them?

Anyone at the space today notice if the rubbish has gone? Both Quantum clear bags, and art installation/bricks