Open evening hosts, build volunteers, participation in general

Given the low turn outs we can’t really make decisions here, so much as debate them, and try to find ways forward.

Again it would make most sense to form a working group which meets regularly to discuss and resolve this issue and make a proposal that is voted on or agreed by members/directors.

There is also quite a back log of undiscussed matters from previous agendas to raise still, so it seems like this might be a quicker route to getting this moved on.

Two ‘events’ per year? Is that what you’re saying?

I think general induction/orientation is noncontroversial, and we’re already working that up.

This isn’t major constitutional stuff, so a members’ meeting feels like the right place to present it. The meeting can decide to either adopt the proposals (perhaps as a trial) or if it feels necessary put it out to the wider membership.

Seems like we already have several @roles who cover these issues: @welcome @events @marketing

I was trying to say that this is such a broad scope it would take a longer time than a members meeting to resolve.

Yes, not time during the meeting.

Nah, two “events” before shutter access is granted, based on what was said above, by I think Stefano.

We have been a Makerspace for a few years. If these are uncontroversial and pretty bland, and fundamental (we’re talking general inductions, shutter access to encourage participation) the fact we are still working up to this, means to me, that maybe we need a clear quick process for making decisions.
If we have one, then cool, explain it to me and lets use it.

If not, I propose monthly members meetings where people can listen to proposals ad vote on stuff. Maybe they can mail in a vote as well. This is a system used in lots of organisations right?

Apologies for thread creep, but lots of ideas flounder at discussion stage, because its hard to know where they go from there

1 Like

We have monthly members’ meetings.

We have various roles covering different areas.

We have Discourse, for scattergun idea exploration.

It’s not really always the case that decisions are missing, but there’s always a lot to get done, as you’re aware.

For example: we nearly got a general induction done on Saturday, but just too many distractions, and important stuff getting achieved.

cool, I misunderstood with talk of working groups, how can I propose something (the proposal above), to be voted on, for the members meeting. (I guess the decision is a vote right?)

Can people who are not there vote in advance? Do we send out an agenda so people can know in advance?

cheers

The point was that before you can propose something for decision which would either be at a members meeting or through a public vote (the latter is probably more inclusive) you need to have formulated a proposal, and the best way to do that is through Discourse and a working group who meet to discuss and thrash out the problem.

The issue you noted was lack of participation in Makerspace activities, and there are loads of ways to resolve that, a working group could explore these, and put together a proposal that suggests solutions that members then read, vote on and it becomes the new process.

Thats effectively what is happening with the Risk Assessments, we worked on a process, and the risk assessments, and got director approval in this case. Similarly @tomnewsom is running a Moderation Working Group to explore new moderation rules through a conversation that will culminate in a proposal for members to vote on hopefully.

Wednesday’s really aren’t a good day for me as i’m pretty much always busy Wednesday nights recording a talk. This might change after Christmas though.