Open Evening Hosts - Always Needed!

(Dermot Jones) #599

@dsikar how was open evening?

(Daniel Sikar) #600

@lewisss bedazzled all onlookers with his social skills and refurbished coffee machine. 1 visitor already signed up (@Kostas) and three potentials. @StudioNelle and @joeatkin2 working on projects. @Beth turned up later so quite busy. Interestingly, none of the visitors knew what was Arduino and weirder still, none who were supposed to know (me included) could not succinctly define it oops. Self playing guitar did not travel well but still presented a pulse and two visitors said they would be back to see it in action. All visitors were given a happy xmas wristband. @pip brought in a round of biscuits (oreos and hobknobs).
3 rubbish bags removed from space. Many cups of tea consumed. OMG I forgot to bring the signs back in! Could someone please check there should be one on the pavement and the other further up against the arches. Sorry :frowning:

(Kostas Ntanos) #601

I don’t think the signs were out at all @dsikar, but we all found the place anyway. I do know what an Arduino is, I own one, but my skills don’t really go beyond incorporating flashing LED lights into things. I couldn’t come up with a concise definition. The self playing guitar had clouded my mind. It is a wonder to see, even if it only graced us with a screech for a few seconds.
@lewisss did a great job and even remembered everyone’s name. Very excited to have signed up and looking forward to contributing in whatever way I can, besides making my own things.

(Mark Johnson) #602

Three architecture students turned up. Daniel Alex and Benjamin. Daniel has already joined and touched his fob In around 19:33. All looking to build model whilst the college/uni they are at is closed
Kostas has already joined and touched his fob in at around 20:38.

Also there were Paul and Jeff/Geoff

Both cabinet makers both have recently had their workshop closed and are missing the wood

(PaulY) #603

Just brought the signs in

(Dermot Jones) #604

Anyone know where the second sign is? The one with a laminated sign on one side.

(Frank Scott) #605

Didn’t find it on the 14th

(Dermot Jones) #606

Six visitors to our Twixtmas open evening…

The theme seemed to be lamp making…Sandre had been given an old meat grinder and wants to lampify it, @Iain was actually working on his whale lamp (appropriate as whales were a source of high quality lamp light for generations), and…there was another visitor who had fairground lights to upcycle…

Should have written down names at the time asI’ve now forgotten some: Elin, Sander, Hugh, Laurie…and two others…

Other interests were jewellery making, drone construction, and textiles, with the knitting machine being an attraction.

It was clear to me how valuable it is to have an example of the work a tool/machine/area can produce…really makes it easy if you can hand round an object to the visitors.

I’ll start another post asking techs and members to see what we can rustle up.

(Rich Maynard) #607

Perhaps each machine or area should have a little display of work produced in that area? Maybe a bit classroom like…

(Mark Johnson) #608

did you get hugh lauries autograph? he was great in House

(Dermot Jones) #609

@dsikar hosting tonight.

Anything of note for social media? Any good pics from this week in the space?

New electronics benches for example?

(Daniel Sikar) #610

@Beth made some cool pens maybe she took pics?

(Beth Slater) #611

No :unamused: they are not finished yet. The bushings were the wrong size and I need to order some more​:anguished: but I will definately finish them and show you!

(Tom Newsom) #612

Hell of a turnout tonight!
Must be all those new year’s resolutions :grinning:

(Daniel Sikar) #613

We had the usual surprising mixture of interests and skills, plus the visit of a real life carpenter! We had Anna and Hope interested in textiles and finding a space for there projects, Chantelle interested in furniture and upholstery so a carpentry/textile crossover, George who might be getting in touch with @frasco to discuss FPGAs, Peter who just finished his carpentry introductory training and looking for facilities for continued development. Then we had Matt who brought the Tantillus kit, duly inspected by @peter_hellyer, together with his partner Alex, keen to channel Matt’s creative energies away from the house :smiley: , she stressed. Elena interested in electronics, laser cutting, 3D printing with a making background at academic level, Tim, an architect interested in woodworking, Sam who has already joined and turned up to collect fob. Then came another Alex, the espresso maintenance engineer but unlike the @lewisss machine, he deals with older models (electric and plumbing jobs, he tells us) that he would like to work on and currently looking for a place to do it. Stragglers included Hamish and Charlie, Thomas and Tara and probably a few others. I counted about 15 visitors. Then there were @jackiekeane, @Beth, @peter_hellyer and @Dermot doing the Time to Talk event planning in the social area, @Dermot 's reprap printing, @tomnewsom and friends and Jonathan laser cutting, @Howard, @joeatkin2 and @Kostas woodworking. Thanks to @tomnewsom and @joeatkin2 for talking to our visitors and wow, what an epic evening, only the xmas party was busier. And we were never in danger of running out of biscuits! :smiley:
Oh, and I forgot to bring the signs in again! :weary:Will do it tomorrow morning…

(Dermot Jones) #614

Not only a fantastic feat of hosting that many guests singlehandedly (and doing two tours), but also a feat of memory to recount all this detail we love to hear!

An epic open evening!

The signs are in, don’t worry.

(Dermot Jones) #615

@AussieFred is down to host this Wednesday, however we’ll likely need another host if the new year surge we saw last week continues.

Anyone up for it? A female member would be good. Or to be there and available to support if needed?

As ever: anyone who had anything to demo please do so and let us know for the social media side of things. And one that note: any good pictures this week?

(Dermot Jones) #616

The Open Evening rota needs a bit of populating: in plain English: please head over here and sign up for the opportunity to show potential new makerspacers our fabulous facilities!

There’s a strong feeling that having female hosts increases the likelihood of new female members signing up. So take that as a call for more females members to host!

We’ve had high turn-outs the last two weeks, so ideally we’d have hosts per week at the moment.

And, as ever: demos, members working on projects etc is always welcome. Don’t worry about not being able to get on with your work: part of the host’s job is to ensure you can get on with your project even with a bunch of curious visitors.

EDIT: I’m doing an @members as we need a wider pool of open night hosts. Don’t be shy: it’s a fun evening, and an easy way to do your bit for the space!

(Dermot Jones) #617

Another bump as we really need a member (or ideally members) to host tonight.

(Dermot Jones) #618

Thanks to @frasco for stepping in/up to host tonight, and for @simonthompson99 and @dsikar for signing up for the next two.

Anyone to co-host tonight? This is an opportunity to learn the ropes from a pro!