Multilayered laser-cut map of London

If I get there with enough time this evening, I’ll give it a go :slight_smile:

Me and Dermot are working on the signs this evening, so we can have a look at that perhaps too?

You remember there is an induction this evening at 7pm?

Nope Dermot asked me to come this evening so I didn’t check.

This is all math to me, ugh haha I’m old school so I am comfy with this printable map of London
http://vectormap.info/product/printable-map-london-center-england-uk-vector-map-adobe-illustrator-editable-city-plan-g-view-level-17-100-meters-scale-v3-09-full-vector/. Always been useful to me

Project shudders and claws its way back to life

So there’s a bunch of missing pieces after months in “storage” (ie. being kicked around under the laser cutter in all its various homes) but there’s enough spare acrylic to re-cut them. Just.

There was a bottle of EMA plastic weld in the space, which does well for the overlapping tube lines, but is tricky to use on the ends of snapped pieces.

Nevertheless, the deep tube lines are now assembled:

I think the difficult bit is actually going to be the “walls” around the edge, which will have to hold the ends of the lines in the correct place.

Someone lost the lid to my plastic weld :frowning:

I’ve got the rest of the tin at home, will bring it some time… FYI that is a very nasty chemical from what I’ve been told.

Step one: Cut a load of 1cm strips (I used the practice sheet of clear perspex from way earlier)

Step two: Assemble into frame for deep tube lines

It’s quite rigid :slight_smile:

Next step: Sub-surface lines and national rail (including threading Thameslink through a tiny slot)

6 Likes

My inner trainspotter tells me that’s the steepest incline on the whole network.

My outer trainspotter (don’t hide it!) will tell you that the DLR into bank is steeper (1:27, I looked it up) but Blackfriars is 1:37 which is still pretty damned steep. There’s a main line tunnel in Liverpool that matches the DLR’s slope.

Oh gawd. This isn’t going to end well. The internet tells me 1:17 for the DLR and 1:27 tie between Thameslink and the Wirral line. And now for something completely different.

It’s going to be something like 1:3 by the time I’m finished with it :smiley:

Trust me when I say that all the tube lines are in place now :slight_smile:

See?

My fingernails regret nothing

The effect of leaving the city blocks white is striking, but you can’t see enough of the tube lines. Besides, the PERSPEX logo is all over it :smiley:

The plumber’s welding glue works really well btw.

4 Likes

I do not envy you having to remove all that white stuff.

1 Like

A heat gun made it really easy to scrape off with a plastic card :slight_smile:
(put a bit of warp in it, but nothing too bad)

It looks TOTALLY BITCHING on a black background, and I can’t wait to side-light this with LEDs.

10 Likes

Amazing project.

1 Like

Thankyou :slight_smile:

@unknowndomain - the LEDs that came out of your shop display: Are they up for grabs? I seem to remember them all being stashed in a box somewhere. Are they ready to go or do I need to bring my own power supply & control?

Test them first! Quite a few dead on the strops Howard and I used

Should be okay.

1 Like

Should be finished tomorrow, fingers crossed!

10 Likes