Mini project - walnut chopping board

Shaped a small cutting board out of a piece of walnut last night as a quickly made gift. Thought I’d share the process and end result!

Inspiration: https://linwoodco.com/products/151-black-walnut-cutting-board

I quite liked these but wasn’t too keen on the angled handle.

Started off with this piece, planed down to a reasonable thickness (about 28mm), then laser engraved the basic shape on it.

Trimmed the excess with the jigsaw.

I found a bit of scrap just big enough for half the board, laser cut a template in the same shape, lined it up, then used a ball bearing bit to trim to the basic shape on the router

Routing done.

Drilled out hole using a spade bit, then rounded off the edge with the router

Sanded the final shape by hand

Finished! Oiled it with ikea SKYDD chopping board oil. Really pleased with the final colour!

20 Likes

This looks great!

Love the colour of the oiled walnut. Very nice! Is the template still knocking around? Rather fancy doing one of my own on a bit of oak I have handy.

It’s still around, might do another one soon! I left it on the shelf above the door.

Is oak ok for chopping boards? I was worried the open grain would just retain moisture too much. Most I have found use really tight grain woods. Also isn’t there something about allergies with oak?

Ah, I wasn’t aware of the allergy thing but you make a good point about the grain. I’ll have to see what else I have stashed away.

:clap:

That turned out brilliantly!

That would make a very nice induction/training project - turn up with a slab of wood and leave with some new skills and a chopping board.

3 Likes

hi @Barnaby_Coote @CriticalTolerance is the template still alive ? any last sightings?

I’ve been inspired by your board and would like to give it a go

1 Like

It’s still around but might be worth laser cutting a better (complete) one. I only found enough scrap for half the shape.

Holler when you know when you’re doing this and if you want company I’d be happy to tag team.

Yea let’s do it!

Short notice but I can be in the space tomorrow, pretty flexible on time.

Then I’m away for till 22nd

We could make a start.

Could we use your digital file?

Short notice is best notice. Tomorrow is cool, I’m flexible all day. Pref around 11 or noon, but I’m free all day. Do you have shutter access?

Yep let’s say 11am have shutter access. DM me your number

Sure. I’ll be down tomorrow afternoon. It’s still on the laser cutter computer somewhere.