Mice/Rat and the might as well mention the flies

I want to bring up the mice situation again. In light on Jonty finding a baby, could we have family or infestation? I have seen what I think is a mice more frequently coming in from the messy room/wood shop into the “clean” area. Today I thought I’d seen a rat because it was so long, but possibly a larger and fatter mouse.

I think members did a great job in make sure we tidy away food remnants when this was a smaller issue previously, together with the poison I think was situated in various areas. I’m guessing with the rise of members in the last 6 months has caused poor habits to rise, such as food being left out, crumbs over surfaces, food in the sink, and take away being left on top of bins.

Can we discuss a tangible solution, or do we now just have mice :frowning:

I have a feeling the solution is going to have to give serious thought to no-longer permitting food in the space unless we can get a handle on leaving it out. This has been an issue for a long time which whilst has straight-forward solutions, appears to continually allude us.

I think I agree.

I think it’s likely the mouse issue won’t go until we leave the railway. It’s really common in my experience for people to have mice issues near the railway.

I tend to agree with @peter_hellyer given hot and cold food is readily available in the vicinity

start with bins to be emptied to the external bins when locking up may also be helpful in the shorter term

and then improve that with no storage of food in the fridge or at the space

Just my thoughts

I don’t see any evidence that the fridge is the problem

Also not sure about banning all food on the space: feels extreme.

Rodents are everywhere, it’s our job to not feed them

The obvious point of entry for rats is open doors, and I’ve seen the snug door propped open recently. Not a good idea

I agree this issue isn’t better or worse than before and I don’t think the mice and rats are symptomatic of us, but the area.

agree there is no direct evidence the fridge is the problem however, I feel that the area is often like a poorly run/unmanaged field canteen and this is facilitated by the fridge.

I would also pose the question is there really a need to store food in the space overnight and if so why ? given hot and cold food is readily available in the vicinity

The flies and general grime could be addressed for a start by emptying the bin on a daily basis and maintaining good hygiene and this may be enough - thoughts ? (I also acknowledge that the recent heat exacerbates this problem)

I’ve never eaten in the space and I think I have to agree with the possibility of not having food indoors. At the very least could we have a separate food waste bin that is emptied more regularly?

Bins are probably emptied more regularly in the Space than in people’s homes: maybe two or three times a week

Bin was emptied on Sunday, for example.

If businesses can manage to run restaurants and prepare food in arches, then surely we can have the occasional bit of food here, just not left out

Mice are pretty much impossible to keep out, but then are less of a health risk than rats – and we put a lot of effort into sealing the point of entry for rats when we first worked on the arch…of course if doors are left open then that’s a different matter

I vote for keeping food (especially tea/sugar/milk). Obviously keep as tidy as possible. Perhaps seperate food bin could be used aswell. Also please bear in mind some people don’t have the luxury of being able to buy something from a cafe/eat out every time they use the space and it may be more economical for them to bring some food from home.
Would rather set traps or contact a pest control company than ban food.

5 Likes

I’m referring to food preparation facilities. But to be fair after walking into this I guess it really wouldn’t make a difference. So better to accept we share the space with rodents.

1 Like