MH721 Vinyl cutter - Is it functioning / Can I be inducted?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4994c8188>

Well, I came in to see what the problems were and couldn’t find any!

Using the TP 42, I catted my SLMS logo file to the cutter

Power up the cutter and attach USB cable
Open an LXTerminal window
Create a working subdirectory mkdir fcs and enter it cd fcs
Import my small test file slms_logo1.hpgl
Discover usb port cutter is using
dmesg | ttyUSB which gave device ttyUSB0
Load cutter and select origin, put online
Cut
sudo cat slms_logo1.hpgl > /dev/ttyUSB0
input makerspace at prompt
and await finish

Set up working directory for Dermot’s cut
cd …
mkdir Dermot
Find Dermot’s file locate BWMkt2
File is in ~makerspace/Desktop
Copy to Dermots working directory
cp ~/Desktop ~/Dermot
cd ~/Dermot
sudo cp BWmkl2.hpgl > /dev/ttyUSB0
Input makerpace
and stop cutter when blade gets to the end of the black stuff.

Shut up and go home.

2 Likes

I would love to avail of the Vinyl Cutter - is on my list for today! Can we setup a ‘working group’ for testing it out? Thanks, Jackie

Hi Oscar, we met once at £B when you came to visit your fantastic brother, Frank. Hope all good with you and maybe see you at the vinyl cutter soon! Jackie

as far as I know @frasco is the only one of us so far to actually tame the beast, I too would like to understand it more as well, so would be keen on an afternoon sometime to give it some welly.

I have also tamed it.

3 Likes

ok, an afternoon to play with the beast is a great idea - when?

Using the cutter now, and it’s working using the steps on the Wiki Page and some faffing converting files produced in Illustrator!

One query: the rollers that control the movement of the vinyl exert enough force to make what could be permanent marks. For my use (using the vinyls as paint stencils) this is unimportant, but others may need to do tests to make sure it’s optimum for them.

Side note: welcome to the issues of everyone who uses the laser cutter with inkscape from Illustrator.

I think you can reduce the pressure of the rollers with some knob or another somewhere.

1 Like

Yes, I’m just not messing with at as it’s working for my needs right now!

2 Likes

I have started a new thread Vinyl Cutter - Connectivity and technical aspects to keep this separate from more practical aspects.

1 Like

@frasco I think I’ve worn out the blade (it started to cut poorly after cutting well, with no physical adjustments made to the cutter)

Should I buy some more blades? Roland comparable, it says on Wiki page?

EDIT: quite a range of blades: 30/45/60 degree…and ideas?

Well @Dermot Google says: click

So 45° blades seems right

EDIT: ordered!

1 Like

Talking to yourself again, @Dermot

It was probably the shock of discovering that I’m not a member, and perhaps never have been?

@frasco I took the brave step of changing the blade…

I used a piece of paper folded 4x to approximate 0.4mm

If I could have seen any feeler gauges I’d have used them!

NOTE: it now needs much less cutting force: 50g where the same vinyl needed 110g before.

Can you check this over next time you’re in?

Also: we need storage for vinyl-related stuff. I have some some transfer tape, and vinyl offcuts, plus two new spare blades.

Might well be in tomorrow.

I measuring 80gsm paper folded 4x and got to 0.4mm, so I expect that you’re close enough.

Using a 60deg blade ( supposedly better for fine detail) I find I only need 40g and a slow speed to avoid tearing.

I don’t think the space has a set of feeler gauges. I always bring a set in. Perhaps the Space could afford to buy a set?

Could we buy a swing bin to store vinyl offcuts etc.?

1 Like

Would be nice to keep them together and findable.

I have lent a USB extension cable so you can cut with the laptop on the social area table.

1 Like

@frasco or @andrewdblack – I have this cutting by piping HPGL. I get the right shape at the wrong scale. Have you encountered this?

(It’s too late now for me to investigate further, I guess I’ll be back tomorrow to continue.)

If using Inkscape find the measure tool and check that it didn’t alter dims when imported.

EDIT: then calculate the proportion and rescale…speaking from bitter experience…