Membership Kiosk

As I said at the meeting I’m happy to try to design and realise the housing for this
We are going to meet soon with the " code -nuts" to pool the resources together!
If someone else is up for it could be fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys, tomorrow morning I’ll be in if you want to chat !

I think we’re both busy :frowning:

@members - a new feature of the Makerspace has been born!

Credits: @unknowndomain @joeatkin2 @jonathanjo and @naxxfish

No longer will we need to do the weird process of issuing tags to members and getting to fail to get into the space and mark down the time and tell a director (in years to come, we will re-read this and wonder how we ever managed!). There is a system that allows us to issue tags automatically! And you don’t even need to look at a clock to do it.

Here is a (retrospective) diagram of the kisok

A simple start, it consists of a monitor, keyboard mouse and RFID reader affixed to a piece of 40mm scaff tube - constructed by @joeatkin2 and @unknowndomain with some creative mounting solutions employed to hold it all together. It looks a bit like this:

Note the wood block in between the monitor and keyboard - that’s the RFID reader, which is currently entirely non-obvious (needs some markings to make its function clear - any cool ideas anyone?!).

The software on it (which is in the membership-kiosk github repo) is able to talk to the Membership system (now it’s at the latest version with the right APIs), and enroll tags. The process is quite straightforward:

1. Take a tag from the jar, present it to the reader
  2. It goes BEEP, and takes you to a page where you can enter your email address and press enter
  3. You then recieve an email, which allows you to follow a link, log into the membership system and then you tag is associated with your account

From that point forward, you can present your tag to the kiosk and unlock the vast plethora of functionality which is presently enables. Namely, see your name and Gravatar picture, and a button to log back out again (feature requests welcome!).

Here is a video demonstration of it in action, enrolling tags in high pressure situations.

Um, yah!

Important note: Whilst you can associate a tag with your account, you still need to be given Door permission by a director! Human interaction is still required!

3 Likes

Great work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It would be really cool if it could print storage labels, so it would have a ongoing use for members.
And induction permissions , and sign in

5 Likes

Great work guys.

1 Like