Makita Impact Drill tutorial mentions to use a "Bit Piece"

Hi Experts,

I’ve got myself into the Makita club by purchasing an impact drill. Thanks to you cool kids I had the sudden urge that I couldn’t live without one!

So after having them all charged up and ready to go I did the unusual move and checked the manual. It mentions there that if the driver / socket bits are of a certain length a bit-piece is needed. (All my bits are of the size that needs one and it seems that’s UK standard)

I might be confused because I never saw a bit-piece in use at the space and they are not easy to get hold of in the UK it seems. Please let me know if I need to pay attention to Procedure 2 and purchase a bit-piece or can safely ignore:

Here a ref for the product: https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-bit-piece-p322279-6/

Thanks all!

Never heard of these before your post… basically looks like an adapter to fit other ‘non-makita’ driver bits in. Although I would guess some others may just fit anyways… I would ignore it unless you happen upon a bit that falls out all the time or something… Here is more info from a Makita catalog:

You can certainly buy one if you want for about £3 … Just google the part number ‘322279-6’:

https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-bit-piece-p322279-6/

Enjoy your new toy!

You can definitely ignore that if you use a bit holder like one of these -

DeWalt ¼" Hex Bit Holder 60mm | Screwdriver Bit Holders | Screwfix.com

Looks like the bit piece is there to ensure that the bit is going the right depth into the hex chuck if you’re using one of those two sided bits - there’s a little ball which can’t engage if it isn’t in far enough.

To be honest, 99% of the time you’ll probably be using a bit holder anyway for the extra reach, so I doubt you’ll need to worry about it

1 Like

2nd this - don’t buy that little bit piece - get a bit holder instead and you will use that all the time, here is a Makita one in case any concern of it fitting:

Ok awesome! Thanks everyone for the advice👍

1 Like