Making table tops this weekend

I’d like to come in this weekend to make 2 table tops. One dining table and a coffee table.

#Dining Table Top#
For the dining table I have 2 170x50cm oak slabs. I need help on the table saw to make 2 rip cuts to narrow the boards by about 15 cm. @joeatkin2 I spoke with you about this when I was at the induction. Your idea of screwing the slabs to a piece of plywood sounds like the best option for getting a straight edge. Are there appropriate pieces available?

I will then glue and clamp the two slabs together and surface and finish them.

For finishing I will need epoxy resin to fill a crack in the slab and finish. I was thinking an oil wax finish but am open to suggestions. Also any recommendations on where to get the epoxy and finish are welcome. As I’ll go through a lot of sand paper I should probably buy some of that too.

#Coffee Table top#
I have one oak slab about 200x40 cm I need to cross cut one end of the board to get it to the length I need. Then I will flatten sand and finish the slab. I would use the same finish for this as the dining table top.

Are any @woodtechs around this weekend? I need help with the table saw and would be great to get some general advice along the way but I am fully prepared to put in the work.

BandQ for a 8’ 18mm MDF off cut

Thanks Joe.

I will pick that up this weekend.

I plan to bring the wood and supplies to the makerspace on Saturday. I can work then or Sunday depending on when @woodtechs are available.

Hi Philip,

Remember that we’re having our Christmas Party on Saturday. Woodshop won’t be affected during the day though.

Thanks for pointing that out.

That actually works for me too. Is it ok if I leave my things in the back storage out of the way?

I can come back Sunday. Is there anything currently planned then?

Talk to people on the day about storage – this sounds large, but we aim to accommodate these projects short-term – but the back room is crammed full. I’m sure something can be worked out.

I wasn’t able to get transportation for today so I will bring it by tomorrow Sunday.

Considering the Christmas Party today does anyone with a door key plan on being in tomorrow? Any estimate on time?

I hopefully will be there in the afternoon

I brought the wood in but was unable to get the MDF or resin.

I may get a start on the coffee table since the cut I need on that can probably be done on the chop saw.