Making Kites using Opensource Kite plans

Well considering that my train is delayed, this is the start of my post about kite making at makerspace.

My name is Zack, I’m now a textiles tech at the makerspace and have been a member since around November. I had my lasercutting induction as soon as possible and have been making a set of four matched kites for a project at the museum of sporting history in Suffolk.

I used the trotec laser cutter a lot for this because I has advantages to cutting for kites that when used well create a precise cut that also won’t fray. The kites are not completely matched in that I have used different weights of ripstop polyester so I’ve been also learning how they differ when putting a kite together. The thicker stuff is not transparent. Using a material with opacity makes laying out the sail so easy because I could see the edges and position them on my laminated layout plan. The laminating was quite expensive for a one off but worth every penny for making matched kites.

I had read that people wet the fabric and it will adhere to itself without glue. I decided to buy a couple of sheets of acrylic cut to the size of the laser cutting plate, the fabric is kept wet so it sticks to the acrylic very well without need if glue or tape, this makes the cutting technique as accurate as possible. I learned In had to scroll the fabric because some of the cuts were bigger than the cut plate. More in this later, I’m now arriving at Herne hill to finish off two kites I have been working on.

4 Likes