Makerspace Christmas Party 15th December 2018 planning Wiki

Just over a week to go…so time enough to start some planning

Edit this wiki if you’re volunteering to take ownership of some area of activity

Discussion and questions very welcome in comments below

Music
@Dermot is planning to bring a bit of gear to set up live music – let him know if you want to play/perform

Games/activities

@Jonty_Bottomley is our gamesmaster…he has some intriguing ideas for very Makery games…contact him to be involved with their development

Making

Previously the first people at the party were press-ganged into making paper chain and decorating the Space…if you find googly eye in unexpected places, then that’s why

Food
A BBQ? @peter_hellyer?

Drink

We’re hoping to have RoboBarman if one can be persuaded out of retirement… @Stuart?

Before it all happens

We need a good clear out at the front, and getting the Clean room in order

@Dermot might be able to come on Sunday for a couple of hours to get garden area cleared up – would be great to get a rubbish collection before the party

Invitations
@dermot sent out mailchimp to all members with text by our newsletter editor @jan_evetts and @charlottecou’s flyer

To do: print out some flyer/invitations and give them round our neighbours on the Estate and Norwood Road - anyone up for this? Great way of meeting neighbours – but make anote of who you invited!

I’m not a member (yet!) but I’d love to perform, if there’s a slot free!

Music like: http://namtao.com

1 Like

A couple of initial thoughts on games… As well as the traditional buzz wire of course.
I can draw up plans and dimensions for all of these should someone want to take any of these on, could do as many or as few as we feel, depends how many parties are interested in getting involved.

A nut spinning race across a metre of threaded rod - this is a pretty simple and fast build.

Rubber band gun coconut shy.
Perhaps no coconuts, more likely ping pong balls or something, could be as elaborate as we fancy. I like the idea of turning it into a bit of a crazy marble run… I’m thinking to make at least 2 different rubber band guns, and perhaps some targets and pedestals. Some woodturning to be done, get in touch if interested.

Juggling wall - bouncy juggling balls, irregular wall, how many throws can you manage?
I have balls, making an odd shapped wall will be easy, a matter of screwing / gluing a bunch or random objects to sheet material. Could do two or three “levels”.

Mini 10 pin bowling / mini crazy golf / some other means of directing some rolling object towards some tarket or another.

Twister would be fun… @Robin_B have you a wobble garden you can bring down?

Prizes available for the winners at the end of the evening? If we actually keep track…

Open to other ideas, the more the merrier. Likewise mught have a few more myself as time passes.

In a side note if anyone wants a refresher on the woodlathe, we could turn some small snowmen / christmas trees / baubles to add to the decoration of the space.

P.s. can bring a guitar.

2 Likes

Ah, unfortunately I’m organising another Christmas party on that evening, so I won’t be able to come :disappointed:

I can bring my pre decorated, pre lit Christmas tree in a box?

4 Likes

First prototype rubber band gun, pretty accurate, fired hair bands so more eye friendly.

The shy is in progress, ping pong balls on order. Different guns to follow shortly, perhaps even a semi automatic ;D

4 Likes

I will aim to bring BarBot! It has 9 optics. I may have to make some hacks on the night to get working, but surely that’s the makerspace spirit :wink:

2 Likes

This sounds like music that would go well with a light show – do you have a light show/want one?

I’ve just realised this is the 15th, which I can’t make! I’m free during the day, I’d be very pleased to help set up, I know my way around A/V kit.

1 Like

@electronoob…what’s ‘Devember’?

This?

1 Like

I’m going to be at the Space for a while today – from about 11:15AM – and will do a stint clearing up out front. Would be great to have some company on that if anyone’s around!

2 Likes

I’ll be in later in the afternoon.

Thanks to @SammyB @Jonty_Bottomley and @electronoob for getting stuck in to cleaning up the garden area!

2 Likes

Don’t forget yourself :wink:

1 Like

Hi all,

I would like to run a xmas/holiday ornament making session for kids in the earlier part of the party…

I will prepare several ornament designs for laser cutting including the year and a spot for a kids name. They choose a couple, I laser cut and engrave them with their name and then they can decorate them further with markers and paint and tie a string on and whatnot… we did this at home last year with my 5yr old and she loved it!

So people that have kids can bring them for a bit and have a fun activity to do and something to take home. What do you all think? If this sounds good - I would need to pick say 2hrs at the beginning of the party to reserve the laser… what time is it kicking off?

There will be no cost to anyone as I will use scrap laser materials.

Cheers!
Andy

3 Likes

Sounds brilliant – official start time is 7pm, but of course people can come at any time

And members will be there earlier getting ready and decorating the Space

Nice, how about 6-8 for this, unless having kids around early will be in the way of last minute prep/clean up?

Cheers,
Andy

Yes, earlier if you like

Don’t worry about kids getting in the way, we’ll just make it work!

Nut Spinner is functional! All joinery is done, if anyone wants to come in and do a little sanding it could be spruced up and finished, not got much time to spend on this further but we’ll see.

Did a couple of practice runs, should be a laugh!

2 Likes

I’ll be in the space on Saturday afternoon to help make stuff, prepare, decorate for the party.

2 Likes