Looking for recommendations for first aid at work training

I need to renew my emergency first aid at work training

I can Google of course, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

The company at work is great: Safe and Sound.

1 Like

would it be worth putting some members through that?

3 Likes

I’d be up for doing it if anyone other than Dermot fancies going, assuming it’s not going to cost an arm and a leg.

1 Like

I think @Jackd might be an instructor? And mentioned the idea of him renewing his ticket and training some of us. Apologies if I’ve mixed that up Jack

I did briefly look into it but as it’s been 10 years since I last taught it I would have to retake the course from the beginning.

I would be happy to do it and it may be of use in other areas as well however to teach you need all the gear including a cpr manikin and a dummy defibrillator. These appear to be ludicrously expensive.

I think better use of SLMS money would be to arrange a local instructor to visit the space and run a class for a few regular members. A quick search found a few who seem to charge £20-30 per head.

4 Likes

Reminds me we were gonna add a permission to the membership system to ask for people’s first aid volunteering.

Happy to put my hand up for this one also. Though my ticket ran out about 4yrs ago, so would probably have to do the whole thing again as opposed to a refresher.

I am down joining in.

Okay looks like there’s some interest, will look into feasibility

This was a surprisingly cheap Emergency First Aid at work course Train-Aid £79.20 per person, or as low as £39.90 for a group of 12 if we held it at the Space.

@Jackd what did you Google to find freelance trainers?

1 Like

You probably don’t want to do it at Makerspace because of the amount of space needed and the hygiene of our floors.

P.s. that’s also not the full three day course. Just the CPR basics.

The EFR website has a map of local schools and freelance instructors.

I disagree, it’s always better to do in the place it may be used. Then the course can be better tailored with real life scenarios.

I don’t think it’s necessary for everyone to take a 3 day course - this is more in depth for scenarios you may be a long way from medical assistance. 3/4h basic training covers the basics required to keep someone alive until help arrives.

1 Like