Lightning Maths - Lampogo 3

Hi, my name is Roy Clutterbuck and I’ve been a member of SLMS for about 2 years. As well as making birthday/Christmas gifts, the main thing I’ve been using the space for is making maths games for my new social enterprise: Lightning Maths. I’m a primary school teacher and live in Peckham and teach in Deptford.

Laser Cutting 25mm diameter digits on 3mm acrylic.

Over the past years I have been developing games that aim to show children that maths can be fun and engaging! My card and counter games are like a cross between sodoku and snap. Lampogo 3 is the name of the first game I have developed. It is for ages 7+, is for 1 - 4 players. It can also be played co-operatively or competatively. I want the games to help build confidence and self-belief in maths for children. At a larger scale I want to start to tackle the society-wide belief that maths is dry, dull, abstract and is only for a certain type of person. I want to show that solving maths puzzles can be intrinsically rewarding and that maths can be for everyone!

I printed out the nets, cut with a scalpel then used starch paste to glue to the box.

I have had a year’s training from the School For Social Entrepreneurs and have incorporated Lightning Maths Ltd as a Social Enterprise company. Lampogo 3 is just one of a series of games I have planned under the Lightning Maths Umbrella. I hope to continue the series - Lampogo 4,5,6… - to increase the difficulty of the games and to make suitable for older children. Lampogo 3 focuses on addition and subtraction as well as problem solving skills. So, I also have plans to work on games that target multiplication and division. I am also in the process of developing teaching resources and training to supplement the games.

Finished game with components - ready to play!

I was recently awarded a Let Teachers SHINE grant by the educational charity SHINE. They have given me £12,000 to trial the games with primary schools in London this year. I am aiming to work with 50 primaries, so if you know anyone that might be interested, please get them to email me on roy@lightningmaths.co.uk
or if anyone at the space would be keen to play test for me - with or without children - I could leave one at the space and people could borrow it?
Contact me if you are interested - any feedback at all would be very much appreciated!
I’m on twitter @Lightning_Maths

My deep thanks to all the friendly and supportive people I’ve met and who have helped me at SLMS over the past couple of years,
Roy Clutterbuck

4 Likes