LEDs for Wheelchair - Need help

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa495e54b88> #<Tag:0x00007fa495e546b0>

Not sure this is the right place but I am looking for somebody with a knowledge of LEDs and Arduino etc.
Happy to pay for the help. I can not install them myself and have no programming or electronics experience. Based in Deptford in SE London.

I use an electric wheelchair and I want to add some programmable LEDs to the chair.
The model is the quickie salsa m. I want to put downlight leds just under the seat aimed downwards at the body and wheels. I would need to power them off a battery of some kind but I have plenty of space in a backpack on the back of the chair. I do not feel entirely comfortable tinkering with the on board batteries.

I estimate about 2 meters of lights will do it, bent/cut/attached into 4 sides. 5050 leds are preferred as they are nice and bright. Needs to be able to turn on and off and select colour/mode. Will be for 1-2 strips. Would be nice to have them trail or gradually change colour too ideally. I like the look of the neopixel strips : https://www.adafruit.com/products/2848

1 Like

This sounds like a great project for Thursday’s electronics meetup, if anyone fancies it :slight_smile:

Hi Richard,
That sounds like a great project. Would you be able to come to the space Thursday evening for a chat? I’ll do it for free in exchange for putting the project on kickstarter.
Cheers for now
Daniel

I’ll help too… I’ve build several projects using WS2812 programmable leds… you should be able to tap the wheelchair battery using a small buck converter without any issues…

Courty

2 Likes

This Thursday the 20th or can it be another Thursday?
The 27th would be better ideally.

I do not understand what you mean about putting it on kickstarter.

Also I am more comfortable using battery packs than the ones in my chair.

The electronic meet up is every Thursday so in theory the 27th should also work. I’ll explain the kickstarter concept then.

I had a look at the adafruit product page and youtube. It seems that the denser version with more leds has less bend and vice versa.

Ok, I will see you on the 27th, what time? Is there step free access?

As I understood it you can cut them at junctions and use wire connectors to reattach around corners etc.

Yes, the cut points are marked on the strips and it’s just 3 wires to join them together for the WS types.

And Yes, the space was designed to be 100% step free

Courty

The gathering starts around 7.30pm. There is also an accessible toilet.

The “road” surface immediately outside the space however, is not great. Be prepared for puddles and potholes!

1 Like

And don’t forget that the car park is mad but frendly. Just ask people to move ther cars if you can’t get through

1 Like

I will not be driving a car, just the chair, should be fine. See you Thursday!

Hi Richard,

What Joe is warning you about is that it might be packed with cars, making it hard to get in. But just ask and the cars will move.

Phone number of the space is: 020 8678 1181

You have not seen the car park yet …

It’s not a car park, it’s a loading area, and pavement.

It has suffered from local tenants abusing it with not just double or triple parking, but gridlock that is so bad at times you can’t get a bike through and people have to breath in to squeeze through.

I get bigger when I breathe in.

1 Like

Which site of the Railway arch is it? The Roti or the F&E?
See you 7:30PM!

The Roti but at the other end near the Canopy brewery. You would be better off going along the pavement until the main entrance by Costcutter.

Yeah wouldn’t go in the far end as its pretty scratty round there, muddy when wet.

@LEDmyWheelchair in the space. Does any one know if we have a 12V battery?

1 Like