Lathe L2 Induction - Saturday March 10th

Induction Call Closed - Confirmed attendee: @Fiona313

This is a call to those on the waiting list for Lathe L2 (aka bowl turning) induction, scheduled for Saturday March 10th - 4-7pm.

Requirements:
A £5 fee is payable at the start of this induction. this fee covers the cost of the material you will need to turn your first bowl.

Please do not bring your own wood to turn for this induction. A uniform blank will be provided.

Topics addressed:

• Lathe safety refresher
  • Tool sharpening
  • Basics on wood selection
  • Attaching a blank to the faceplate
  • Using the roughing gouge, bowl gouges, parting tool and skew chisel
  • Turning a basic bowl shape
  • Sanding & finishing

Due to the focus on a single set of tools, and the extended time this induction takes, this induction can only support a single inductee per session.

Below is the waiting list for L2 lathe inductions, stack ranked in order of those waiting the longest. If you are interested in attending this induction, please check your name and the highest name on the list will be confirmed Friday evening:

@TomHedges
@Damian
@afshind
@peter_hellyer
@lewisss
@DAC17
@asander1
@Fiona313
@pip

Hi James, I don’t seem to be able to edit the post, but I’m interested in attending the induction on Saturday.
Thanks Fiona

Bugger. Son’s birthday this weekend :cry:

Will these be a regular thing? Still need to get that bowl turned by mid-May!

Hi @Fiona313. If I understand the discourse system correctly you don’t need to edit the post, just click/tap the check mark box by your name to add a check.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

@DAC17 I am intending to do one of these per weekend for the next few weeks to try and chew through a good chunk of the existing waiting list. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks James - it doesn’t work for me for some reason - I’ve tried it on several browsers - chrome, firefox and safari. Apologies if I’m being totally thick.

Amazing. Thanks for committing your time to this. Muchly appreciated :+1:

No worries @Fiona313 . I’ve ticked the box for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

cheers James

Hi James,

Are you thinking of running one Saturday 17th? If so I’ll definitely keep the day free.
Afraid on 10th going for birthday countryside walk with few friends.

A

@afshind I’m not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday next weekend that I will be free. As soon as I know, I will pot the next induction call!

1 Like

Hi James,
I can attend tomorrow - but the initial post isn’t a wiki, so i can’t tick my box, i don’t think…
Would you be able to tick for me?
Thanks,
Tom

Thanks for giving up your afternoon @Mouat the induction was amazing, really thorough, feel like I’ve got a good foundation to start practising turning. Here’s what I made, clearly I need lots more practice, but it’s great to have created something in a relatively short space of time

6 Likes

Thanks James for a fantastic introduction to bowl turning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow. Did @Mouat manage to induct more than one member?

2 Likes

Three, actually.

But lets not let that become the expectation! :wink:

2 Likes