Laser was out of commission - FIXED

I did the following:

1. Turned on Laser PC
  2. Tapped tool control - is scrolls a message with my name
  3. Turned the laser on - lights on the hardware buttons flashed, then just the green “on” button
  4. Lid and door closed
  5. Opened Ruby and selected it from notifications
  6. Logged into Ruby, got interlock error message (Howard got the same in Job Control)

Cannot move the laser head.

Perhaps entirely unrelated - shutter opening doesn’t show on discourse, so something upstream is wonky.

Definitely sounds like an issue with tool control not closing the lid interlock…

Unrelated to the shutter problem…

I can look at it at 6, if its not working by then…

Although that is odd, because you should be able to manually move the head even with it open…

I didnt know what an interlock is so I had a look at the trotec manual.

Apparently, as well as the top lid, the front and side panels have interlock switches so may be worth checking they are firmly closed.

bypassing tool control to see if that does anything, there are several interlocks, opening and closing, checking for debris of all of them might be good (top, two sides,front).

2 Likes

The laser is back in operation. Great teamwork @asander1 @Christian!

5 Likes

The culprit:

Will order a new one!

4 Likes

Ordered…

1 Like

Heroic work on a Saturday evening. Well done.

3 Likes

What is it and what does it do?

These are the contacts that indicate whether the lid or front / side panels are opened. They all come together via purple cables on the board in one socket. So the machine is in interlock if you have a side panel removed or the front open.

3 Likes

New parts are installed! Surprisingly it was the magnet side that went bad - replaced both since we got 'em…

Part numbers for future reference:

Proximity Sensor:
MFG P/N: 59140-010
Mouser P/N: 934-59140-010

Magnet Actuator:
MFG P/N: 57140-000
Mouser P/N: 934-57140-000

We have 2 of each as spares, will put in the Laser Tech box… @lasertechs

Cheers,
Andy

Also for the Makers’ record… it was the top lid right side that went bad and is now replaced….

2 Likes

Thanks for sorting this out!

I’ve realised I am more of a documentation / use case / induction / training / user support kind of tech.
I wouldn’t have been able to diagnose the problem, and would probably have been too nervous to swap out the part!

3 Likes

Thats ok! We need both for sure! If all we had were fixers, no one would have access to the tools!

3 Likes

It’s really curious. I had forgotten it wasn’t working and tried to use it yesterday. It wouldn’t work for me but did work for someone else who used it right after me. :frowning:

It should have worked yesterday (we had bypassed the broken switch), be sure you are signed into Tool Control before powering it up…

1 Like

was it set to ruby on the taskbar next to the clock?

Yeah, I’ve been caught by that before. Maybe it’s as @asander1 said, I hadn’t signed into tool control first. Each time I try, I’m learning something new! :slight_smile:

2 Likes