Laser Cutter NOW BACK IN SERVICE

I recon I could get a 20mm ream in there. I would glue it to a bit of wood and then do it on the pillar drill and then un glue it

Or laser cut a snug fitting holder?

It’s not a purely flat piece. The top side has the guide rails and the bottom side has a slight protrusion that the lockinging nut fits over.

How wide is the beam pre-focusing/how accurately centred does it need to be? I’d be surprised if a mm either way would make a difference…

Could we: just drill it with a 20mm bit?

Also - anyone got a model of the lens holder? I’d be keen to have a go at cncing one for fun…

An off-centred lens means the beam will exit at an angle, so your cuts would all be slanted.

I’m confused, are we not able to send back the current lens for the correct lense?

Nobody (that I’ve found) in the UK stocks the correct lens (at a sane price)

Aww ok.

Is anyone able replicate the holder in fusion and cnc mill the piece from aluminium I can help with milling bit. @Jonathan

1 Like

Its not difficult per se we just need the right stuff to hold it in place for the final cuts without it being obliterated.

No need to model it in fusion its basically a square with a hole and dovetails on it.

I have a 30° cutter for the dovetails so if we have some epoxy I could face some stock to size and hand it over to frank to bore the hole on the lathe. Just have to decide which operation to do first depending on what puts more stress on it and/or weakens the part more. I’m assuming frank would want to do the hole first though?

1 Like

Ok cool, just looking for a solution that will have yhe laser back up and running the quickest.

Yes, speed is of the essence. We have two holders so can afford to be a bit daring with one of them before being more careful with the other if need be.

Would 3D printing work?

Short term for sure

So is our mill rigid enough for this to work? Or will .25mm be too little material to engage the bit properly?

Edit: ah, it’d never fit in the collet

I could 3D print one tomorrow?

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s worth a go :slight_smile: bonus points for minor mods to the design that make it impossible to put in backwards :wink:

Hmmm, definitely one worth considering…
I may pop in tonight to get the dims

2 Likes

In my way in now to collect the existing holder for modelling and printing… any objections to me removing the holder for a day and returning it tomorrow?

Put it in the chuck or use the lathe.

I think it will work fine just go very slowly