Laser cutter lens stuck - fixed now!

Hi does anyone know the knack to remove the laser cutter lens? as there are some members here waiting to use it but we cannot take it off for cleaning.

the ferrule unscrews but the plastic holder seems stuck in.

@Calum_Nicoll i think you were using it last today, did you notice anything when you cleaned the lens or used it?

Not really - the bed was pretty messy before I used it with some kind of white powder/residue but other than that didn’t notice any problems.

so did you manage to take the lens out to inspect it?

If all else fails, we could take a pair of pliers to it, but would probably need to print a new mount :frowning:

It’s properly stuck in there. Really stuck. Thinking someone with a little more nous will need to take the mount off completely to get it out.

A gentle bit of heat from the hot air gun?

No - it was stuck - I tried to remove it but did not want to go the pliers route - and then ran out of time and had to catch a train - intended to discourse it but you beat me to it, thanks.

My cutting was pretty light, maybe 5 mins of acrylic and ply total and lots of fiddling with position.

If someone has the file for the 3d printed version I am still up for milling a heavier duty version.

I think @Jonathan made the current one?

I’m by no means an expert, but if I was a betting man I’d say the plastic has melted a little, disfiguring it and meaning we can’t get it out. It wiggles, but will not slide out for love nor money. Think the whole unit will need unscrewing to get it out without damaging it (the unit, not the 3D printed lens housing)

Is it time to get one of these made in metal?

1 Like

Makes sense.

@Calum_Nicoll were you talking about milling a metal one above?

Yeah would be metal

2 Likes

Ok, if it is stuck it means the lens has moved in the plastic printed part. The lens is now hitting the underside of the piece that holds it. Removing the printed part in this way may scratch the surface of the lens. Pliers won’t help here.
It will have to be removed for the lens to be reseated. If someone tackles the job, use caution… I printed a spare holder to replace that one but the 3D printed parts where only supposed to be temporary anyways.

I can drop by to have a look but maybe only tomorrow morning/evening.
Thoughts?

1 Like

i’ll be in tomorrow evening as well so happy to give a hand as needed.

Has someone put an Out of Service note on it for now ? dont want to compound any issues

Courty

Can’t we just take the top mirror off and poke it gently with something soft.

Or even the cone off and push the lens out through the mirror hole?

1 Like

@Jonathan / anyone else - got files/dimensions to share? I am at lhs tomorrow and can probably make something up if I get measurements, cheers

@andrew_d had a 3d model of it too

1 Like

@lewisss had most of it off and was trying various things with no joy. If any @lasertechs are around anytime soon they could always have a poke about to see if they can free it at all.

@peter_hellyer how did the laser test cuts go with the lens facing down?