Laser cutter / illustrator help

Having spent far too many hours of my life sat at the space trying to get the laser cutter and the PC connected to it to play ball, I thought I’d try and plan in advance this time.

Would anyone who is a little more tech savvy be able to convert 5 .psd files into adobe illustrator files so I could cut these letters out of ply wood please?

I’m sure it’s a 10min job for someone with a bit of knowledge. It’d probably take me a few days to work it out!

Any help greatly appreciated. P.psd (1.1 MB) A.psd (844.1 KB) R.psd (756.6 KB) K.psd (1.1 MB) E.psd (795.8 KB)

Alternatively if anyone could give me a steer as to how to do it I could give it a whirl myself.

Dani helped me do one last time. Was something along the lines of tracing the lines and making a vector or something like that :man_shrugging:t3:

@petra might be able to help if she’s around. She’s always really helpful and nice.

Think she’s open to bribes and has a sweet tooth I hear

1 Like

A (1).ai (59.3 KB) E (1).ai (57.8 KB) K (1).ai (58.9 KB) P (1).ai (53.0 KB) R (1).ai (55.1 KB)

Here ya go. Do not worry about the sweet tooth stuff, it’s not constant.

2 Likes

Legendary!

Thank you SO much :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Hi guys, anyone know the dimensions of the laser cutter bed? wondering what dimensions perspex to buy ! Currently my file is approx 550mm x 300mm

actually dont worry! found it on discourse -

726 x 432 mm if anyone else wanted to know

2 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is that we can’t quite use the full width of the bed currently because of a slightly problematic endstop - I’d recommend staying under 700mm width to avoid problems.

(The sheets in the material shop are all 600x400, which is also the standard size sold by most online shops.)

Hey @petra thanks again for helping us with those. Unfortunately the quality of the files I gave you weren’t that great. They’re quite pixelated.

I’ve followed some instructions and managed to make a vector (I think) but couldn’t get the job control to recognise the cut line!

It’s on the desktop and is called HELP PLEASE @DAC17.ai

Would you be able to troubleshoot for me please? Just need to be able to cut out the letters in the actual size they are in the file (60x17cm total size for the whole word).

Thank you.

1 Like

@DAC17 if you happen to have time Sunday afternoon and if Petra doesn’t sort you out first, I’ll be in to help someone else with laser problems, happy to help you out with this as well!

Cheers mate. I’m not about Sunday, but the file is on the laser PC desktop. I’m pretty sure it’s glaringly obvious what the problem with the file is, but it has me stumped!

If you’re able to give it a quick look when you’re in next that’d be amazing :+1:

parker2.ai (1.3 MB)

Just watched a different video on how to create vectors from text - hopefully this one will work - gonna give it a try in the morning. If anyone has a minute to look at this and can see any reason why it wouldn’t allow me to cut it out on the Trotec, would be greatly appreciated.

parker3.ai (1.4 MB)