Laser attachment for a 3D printer?

hi all, does anyone have any experience with using a ‘Laser attachment for a 3D printer’?
Thanks
Elizabeth

They are very uncommon and not very practical, what do you need to cut?

Actually, it’s not for me, someone randomly asked me via Instagram and I said I’d find out for them! I’ve googled it…I assume someone’s got a 3D printer already and wants to convert it to a laser cutter. Any thoughts?

There are printers designed to be used with swappable tool heads like that - but having done a bit of research on it I concluded it’s not a very practical idea*. If you have a 3D printer though you can make a laser engraver with printed parts - I’ve made one and I’m trying to dial it in for PCB prototyping, if you need the plans let me know!

* For something like a Prusa, you can go two ways - either change the tool head completely for a laser, but that’s an involved process and likely you’ll need to run through manual calibration again when you decide to change back to a 3D print head; or you can strap a laser module onto the 3D print head which gives you a fairly small work area for the laser

Thankyou!!

Not quite on topic…but the laser modules for 3d printers are all laser diodes, so these purpose-build engraver/cutters might be of interest. Nice big area, but quality might be variable, and I’d say building an enclosure with extraction would be top of the list for most use cases

I’ve got a ‘20W’ one (~4.5 to 5W laser power) and it can cut 3mm ply and acrylic…but much slower than the Trotec of course

1 Like