Kitchen island and breakfast bar

My new house has a kitchen extension with a window cut of the internal wall to let light into the dining room behind. It’s not the easiest space to make use of so I figured i’d put my large piece of staved oak worktop (picked up free on gumtree!) to good use and build a storage area with a little breakfast bar for a stool to slide under.

I designed it in Fusion:

Here is the work in progress so far:

and using a makerspace stool to demonstrate the breakfast bar function:

The frame is made from miranti and held together by crossed lap and dove tail crossed lap joints for the long side and maple dowels for the sides.

Marking the dove tail.

Design elements

A key design element was for the outer edges of the legs to be in a continuous line with the edges of the window. So it was useful to balance the worktop on some legs cut to the appropriate height.

Thankfully I also considered the skirting board in the overhang so that the worktop can be fitted flush to the wall.

I want to keep the light colour, so am planning to use some Osmo.

Meranti was more economical than oak which would have been my preferred material. Despite being pleased with the outcome, I cannot recommend Meranti for fine woodwork. . It’s very friable and tends to break up like shredded wheat when you are knocking in a tight fitting joint. I ended up pushing all the joints in with a clamp and piece of wood in order to support the fibres.

9 Likes

I cut and put on the slats today.

7 Likes

Looks great Twm, thanks for sharing with us and giving your opinion on the timber.

What is the function of the dowel? Is it to keep the short end timber in place?

Yes the dowel goes in 5 cm into the side piece and glued to keep it secure. Glue also on the joint face .
It also looks cool

1 Like

Looks very cool. :wink:

All Done. I finished it with two coats of’Osmo 3044 750ml Polyx Oil Natural Transparent - Raw’ which did the trick in keeping the oak natural look while offering protection from splashes.
I just need a better stool!

Looks great

Is the oil actually ‘natural raw’ or ‘natural raw look’?

It has a white pigment in the wax which help balances the natural darkening of an oil. Even if you rub a little water on oak it will become darker temporarily so it’s tricky to maintain the ‘natural look’
Over the last few decades there has been a trend away from mahogany dark wood to untreated pine or ‘white washed’ oak.

Lovely work yet again @Twm

Great piece you’ve got there. Can also see the ramen box sitting proudly.

Really like your work. Very simplistic with clean lines and on-point joinery. Something to aspire to.

1 Like